binoculars

ATH

I'm looking for a pair of decent binos in the $200-$300 range for an elk hunt this fall. I'm thinking 8X or 10X. Any advice on what technical stats determine if they are good would be helpful (I remember reading something about exit pupil or something at one point). Specifically, I need something with attached lens caps (to carry on a bino harness), not too big or heavy as this is a backpack hunt. For locational glassing only, if I need to count points etc the Nikon spotter will come out.

With your budget, I would highly recommend looking at the Nikon Monach ATB's. Great binoculars for the money.

Years ago, I got fed up with carrying heavy binos around my neck all day. Decided I wanted a light weight roof prism binocular. I went to K-Mart, tried the Bushnell and Simmons, returned both of them. Mostly they would not maintain focus with bouncing around. Then I bit the bullet and bought a Leitz Trinovid 10x 20mm bino. I have had it ten years now, and never a problem. Only drawback is that the small objective reduces light reception early morning and late evening, as opposed to larger Objectives. I believe they can be purchased for around $350.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.