Binocular vs monocular for hunting

Jeremybj

Hello,

Last year, I went on a big game hunting and found my binoculars were kinda a pain and got in the way. I use a bino buddy but they kept banging into my rifle and they were cumbersome to get at. My question is, what is the advantages/disadvantages to using a monocular. I am thinking it is compact and I can just throw it in my pocket real quick then move. Let me know what you guys think.

we do a lot of glassing out here in montana for goats.deer and elk. Every one i know uses bino's, for me i am more stable and can see beter with them and it easer on my eyes than using the monocular. I normally just tuck the bino into my coat and have the strap around my neck. the coat keeps them from flopping around and there easy to get at if needed in a hurry and they stay out of the way of the gun

I use an eberlestock pack and attached my bino case to it in a position I can get to it easily. If I'm slinging my rifle I have never been bothered to much using the binos straps you descibed. Sometimes I'll slip off one of the over shoulder straps, usually the right one and sling the binos over and closer to my hip/underarm. Between these options I have never has any issues. Binoculars are much easier on the eyes and I recommend spending as much time on the glass as possible. People would be more successful hunters if they slowed down and used their optics to pick apart the woods.

I used to hate carrying heavy binoculars on a strap around my neck. They would bang around and not hold focus. So I went from one store to another buying various cheap mini binoculars. If I did not like them, I would return immediately for a refund. I tried Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco, and several off brands, to no avail. Then I decided to bite the bullet and bought a pricey Leica 10x20 roof prism binocular. What a difference. It is very light, clear, and I hardly know its there, and the ten power is very good. The focus remains exactly where it is set. However, larger lens have a big advantage in low light conditions. I have tried a monocular, but the field of view is very narrow and carrying in the pocket takes too long to get it out.

Last edited:
I mistyped - its a 10x25, not 10x20. I bought it in about 1988 at little over $400. I think they are about double that now. Also - that binocular has a tag says "Made in Portugal"!!! But the quality is excellent.

I could never use a mono, they canyons I look across area 1-2 mile. I use light 10x32 ELS. I have short straps off my pack shoulder straps, that are in d-rings w/ buckles on end. Have to unbuckle one end to remove pack, weight is on shoulder,same set up on archery pack. For archery I use a set of 8x20 Leica alot. Binos are high, that dont hinder rifle on safari sling

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.