Binocular recomendations, PLEASE!

superlite17

Hello all! And thank you for your time.

I do a lot of hunting over clear cuts (200-800 yards long) and have never gotten any binoculars I was happy with. Compacts would be great but the ones i have tried either did not have enough magnification or did not let in enough light

So I tried some large wally-world 50mm Bushnells and I really still was not happy.

My bino budget is tight $100-$200

Was wondering if anyone might have some advice, as I really do not know anything about binoculars, much less ones for long range hunting!!!

Are the Yukon binoculars good????

There are some things that we should define to help you with your question. First would be what power do you need? Most binocs are 7x 8x 10x 12x or 16x. I purposely went with 12x so whoever was using them would be able to see about what I was seeing while looking through my 14x scope. I'm sure you realize that generaly speaking the higher magnification you have the less light will transfer through.

Is size a major concern, a slight concern, or not concern at all? The amount of distance you will be packing these binocs may determine how big and heavy they can be.

Do they need to be waterproof or not?

Would you sacrifice a higher power for a wider field of view?

If we have some info on what you want these binocs to do for you then I'm certain someone here will have a suggestion or two for you.

Call Cabela's Bargin bin and ask them what they have. I have found a few GOOD deals on spotting scopes and such by calling, cause they don't list them in their web site. I use their Top ends sometimes but mostly my Brunton Epochs

Howdy,

I have a pair of Pentax 20 x 60 binoculars for sale in the classified section. These are big, Check out the pics. But if you are hunting from a stand overlooking down an 800 long clear cut and using a tripod, they may be what your looking for. I am asking $175.

Just be aware that these are not the kind of binoculars you would want to carry around neck.

Best of luck in your search,
Vic

superlite 17
I too wanted some binocs that would'nt break the bank and yet give me alevel of performance that was above the avg. choices. My search led me to the nikon Activa line 10x22x50mm to be exact. Yes , they are variable / zoom binocs and have many drawbacks but they work for me because I have learned to use them. Focus is the critical issue and after that .....game over! I have spied elk at over two miles with these, you just have to have a steady rest and be precise with your focus ( go realll sloooow when turning the focus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)They were about 249.00 so should be in your price range. BTW, I liked them so much rthat I gave my first pair to a friend and bought myself some more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope this helps,
Jim B.

Superlite,

To be honest, I think that you maybe asking to much from a $100-$200 pair of binoculars, especially out to the 800 yards. For that price range, I would recommend looking at a pair of Porro Prism binoculars. They are not compact, but they will give you a higher quality of image for less money than the Roof prism style. Below are 2 binoculars that I would recommend that will give you very good quality for the price range you are looking for.

Bushnell Legend
Nikon Action Extreme

The power would really depend on the type of hunting you will be doing mostly. If you are box hunting, than you may want to consider the 12x50's since you will be able to hold them more steady against the hunting shack. If you are more still hunting or stalking, than the 10x50's would me the make power that I would recommend. Hope this helps you out.

Steiner's Military/Marine, Predator or Safari in 8X30, focus free and all should be under $200. Easy to carry and clear as anything I have seen.

Leupold Mesa series are and excellent choice for low budget quality glass.
Bushnell Legend's may be the best buy for roof prisms on a budget.
Don't forget about the old Zeiss/Jena German binocs, good optics and you can find some bargains on ebay for less than $100.

my thoughts...

I spend countless hours looking in bino's

cheap glass = BIG headaches at the end of the day...

if you plan spend long hours looking through glass...

Steiner
swaro
lieca
Nikon

it is worth your money and you sanity ( headaches ) if you will spend alot of time looking in them

I have been using Steiner Safari 12x40s for the last couple of years. I have hauled them all the way to africa and back and they have held up very good. They are not he smallest or lightest, but are not too heavy to carry all day and work good at long range for me. They are around $200 and are of very good clarity and quality for the price. I have been very happy with them. That is just my two cents worth.

Bushnell Legend 8x42 is the ticket! They are closer to $300 but nothing will perform the want you want for less. I have looked through mine all day on PD hunts and compared them to swaro and they looked just as good to me.

Lance

Thank you all very much for your time... and let me show exactly how little I know about binoculars:

What is the difference in roof prisms and the other type, is one better???

If there are variable powers then why don't any of you use them, it would seem like they would be better... like most people choose variable power scopes???

After having such success with the Nikon Monarch ATB roof prism 8X42, I had to try the new Nikon EX Action express 12X50. WOW, these are a great binos. A bit bulky but quite light for the mag.

They are porro prism meaning the objective is wider then the eyepieces (roof is a straight tube bino). Adjustments are great and I can see/resolve wild grass at 800yds.

Some will call it bunch grass. Grows about 10 to 12" high and about 1/8" in diameter to 1/4" flat. I can actually make out the different blades at that range.

Have not tried low light as I am too close to urban lights. However, for what they cost, I really couldn't be happier. I will be using this for cut block hunting with ranges just like you.

Give them a try. They really are impressive. Nikon is making a huge push into quality affordable optics from binos to scopes. Crazy prices for how well they perform.

Don't have a clue about durability or weather proofness as they are brand new this spring. However, they have been bouncing on the floor of my cab since I got them (kind of a torture test). No problems so far. Review the specs. All the right bits are there.

Jerry

I'm not an optics expert.

Possibly the main difference you would notice between poro and roof prism is the price, and you could probably get better quality, dollar for dollar, in a poro prism.

Most variable binoculars are cheap binoculars. You need a mechancal connection linking the two sides and that means they are difficult to seal from moisture and dust; among other things. The makers of quality binoculars usually stick to fixed power to preserve internal integrity.

If you will not be lugging this glass over hill and yon, I see nothing wrong with a standard pair of competitively priced 7X50s. That's what I use. I think most people can define as much detail at 600 yards with a good pair of 7X50 poro prisms over an inferior pair of 10X50 roof prisms, for the same price.

For a walking around pair, I like 9X35s.

Good luck, LB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.