Binocular question

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Niles Coyote, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Niles Coyote

Niles Coyote Well-Known Member

This fall will find me in southeast montana hunting mule deer. I have 7x50 steiner's and also plan to bring my spotting scope. My question is will I be under powered with a 7x bino? Do I need to get something more powerful?

2. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

I guess the type of glass you use would really depend on how you hunt but you should not have a problem with the 7x power. I use a pair of 7x35 Leica’s when hiking or backpacking and prefer them over the higher power. They just work better for me.

3. 7mmAI

7mmAI Active Member

I have a pair of 7x42 swar. that I like very well. Your 7x50 will work well although they are probably pretty heavy like my 7x42 bino's. Dont try to cut too much weight with a pair of compacts for mule deer, I don't care who makes them. A small objective lens is not comfortable to look through for extended bino work and gets dim at the end and begining of each day. Dean

4. ScottBerish

ScottBerish Well-Known Member

My favorite is the 8-8.5x range but most hunters around here opt for the 10x. You will be glassing at distance in SE Montana