Biily Goat at 1058 yds

Both of those goats have been around A LOT of dead stuff, so they didn't even balk at all, but I was curious how they would react towards their cousin.:)

Both of those goats have been around A LOT of dead stuff, so they didn't even balk at all, but I was curious how they would react towards their cousin.:)

LOL, reminds me of the story of the foul mouth parrot that was always cursing. His owner tossed him in the freezer for an hour for punishment. When he was taken out he was very very behaved and only wanted to ask one question. " Sir..... what did that chicken do?":D

I bet the goats are well behaved and very glad to be of help...:D

Jeff

It is funny you say that cause my shed is half goat pen and the other half is my trapping shed where I do all my skinning, fleshing, etc. i spend the winter trapping full time so the poor goats see a lot of carcasses! They behave pretty **** well!!!!

Idahosawyer----that kind of looked like the whiteclouds. How about the wolves up in there? Did you see any sign?
My buddy drew to the south of you so we'll see what he can do. Not too many goats in his draw area but they are there and we'll give it a go. Not to mention a chance at a nice high country muley. What were the particulars of your rifle and loads??

Randy

No wolf sign on this trip but have seen them on previous trips. I have hunted that area since i was 13 so I have definitely seen the ebb and flow of the elk/wolf relationship. I have since elk hunted elsewhere so it was great to get back in the old stomping grounds.
gun/load specs
Trued 700 by Shaun Thomason in Craigmont, ID (Diamond T Rifleshop)
338 EDGE
#7 Hart 1 in 10 twist 30" w/ a med Pain Killer
89 gr Retumbo (was 90 until I got this new lot of powder) lit by a 215M
300 gr Berger .005 into the lands, going 2825 fps
McMillian A-3 desert camo
NF 5.5-22x56

Nice Billy and shooting. Congratulations!

What breed are your goats? I've had Alpines and Saanen's. Alpines are hearty but a little ornery and Saanen's seem a little lazy. How heavy do you load them?

They are half Nubian, half Alpine. The bigger of the two I can put on about 40 and about 35 for the littler one. I know it is not a bunch of weight but it 75 lbs. I dont have to carry! There is no way to get horses or mules into are current elk country so i thought I'd give these guys a try. this is there first year they are old enough to haul loads so time will tell if they make they line up:D

That sounds like a good cross breed for the job. I've never had a Nubian but I've heard they're good natured. We've used goats for quite a few years. They're getting more common now but we used to get some strange looks. People stopping and asking us if we used them for milk on the trail :rolleyes:.

Anyway... nice Billy. Not everyone gets a chance at one of those.

They are half Nubian, half Alpine. The bigger of the two I can put on about 40 and about 35 for the littler one. I know it is not a bunch of weight but it 75 lbs. I dont have to carry! There is no way to get horses or mules into are current elk country so i thought I'd give these guys a try. this is there first year they are old enough to haul loads so time will tell if they make they line up:D

Man, I wish I had a place to raise 2-3 of those goats. You goat guys have this backcountry thing figured out! Seems like the way to go if you have the time and place to raise these critters.

Man, I wish I had a place to raise 2-3 of those goats. You goat guys have this backcountry thing figured out! Seems like the way to go if you have the time and place to raise these critters.

I'm riding a mule these days. Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through but you feel fresher when you ride.

Goats are great because they are low management. They don't need much food or water, you don't need to lead them and if they step on your foot, no biggie. The down side is that you can't lead them any distance and they can sometimes quit on you. Put 40 lbs of elk meat on them and walk them straight up hill for a couple miles in rough country and they get to thinking that laying down is easier than pack'in meat. So you out think them. You just keep walking and when they realize they're alone, they'll come a running. No dice. You go back and they're laying right where you left them. All pack animals have their quirks but they're almost all better than hauling it yourself. Goats are just less management.

Find a buddy that hikes or hunts with a place to keep them and go in on it with him. Goats are not that expensive but there's saddles and packs to buy. You'll need a trailer to haul them. Unlike horses and mules, there's very little training but you should do some and keep them in packing shape a little. They're the least expensive and easiest pack animal IMO.

Headed out this last weekend and found a pretty good Billy. Glassed him from a couple miles out and closed the distance to get a better look. Got to a great spot to set up and got the optics on him, He looked good and the conditions were perfect so starting getting set up for the shot. Station pressure was 21.7 with 42 degrees farenheit, 12 degree angle, Zero wind, it was 1058 on the range finder. Dialed 22.25 elevation and 1 minute for spin. Settled in and sent the 300 berger on the way. The hit connected, but it was about 1/2 minute low going through the sternum and shattering the farside leg just below the shoulder (He was bedded angled away from us) He was able to stand and make a move behind a dead white bark just leaving a LITTLE window of vitals. 2 shots later I had opened that window (300 gr bergers are great for delimbing a tree if you ever find your self in this situation) and the final shot went right through the newly created window right into the vitals and the billy made 3 big strides and piled up in the draw. got the cape off and the meat deboned and off the hill we came. Utilized my pack goats to help haul meat/camp out and both of them did great. enjoy the photos

View attachment 13028

View attachment 13029
Outstanding and congrats.

From what little I know of Goat and Sheep country they are all trophy's just for getting close enough to shoot one. Having a big fat hairy goat with such a nice rack to top it off is just icing on the cake.

Again congrats on a truly successful hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts