Biggest Critter withe a 6.5?

CPGfan, Nice bears :cool:! Nice rigs too. How's the velocity in that 6.5/06AI?

Hey thanks WildRose. I'll keep that in mind. My neighbor was to TX for hogs winter before last. Said it was a hoot. The last time I was there was in 95' for turkey. We were about 30 miles north of Sonora TX on the High Lonesome Ranch. I guess I did fly into Midland and drove to Carlsbad NM in 07' for coyote. I love to hunt those western coyote.

CPGfan, Nice bears :cool:! Nice rigs too. How's the velocity in that 6.5/06AI?

Hey thanks WildRose. I'll keep that in mind. My neighbor was to TX for hogs winter before last. Said it was a hoot. The last time I was there was in 95' for turkey. We were about 30 miles north of Sonora TX on the High Lonesome Ranch. I guess I did fly into Midland and drove to Carlsbad NM in 07' for coyote. I love to hunt those western coyote.

That particular 6.5-06 AI was pushing a 140 JLK around 3080. I have since retired it and have built a new one that is pushing the 140 JLK at 3105.

Weren't they shooting a 6.5-284 on one of those LR hunting shows on TV. I seem to remember them shooting an elk at 800+ yards, if I remember correctly, with 140 Bergers.

My family has been shooting the 6.5x55 in the M94 sweed since before I was born. A lot of big mule deer have fallen to those .264 pills at no more then 2500FPS. Havn't used them on anythign larger. Two largest mule deer I have ever shot was with this set up.

facebook-1.jpg

This one I took loaded with simple Hornady 140 grain SST at 2500FPS.

BT

Last edited:
My family has been shooting the 6.5x55 in the M94 sweed since before I was born. A lot of big mule deer have fallen to those .264 pills at no more then 2500FPS. Havn't used them on anythign larger. Two largest mule deer I have ever shot was with this set up.

facebook-1.jpg

This one I took loaded with simple Hornady 140 grain SST at 2500FPS.

BT
That's not a mulie, it's a monster and looks a lot like some of them I have seen NW of Weiser ID.

I've hunted with a few 6.5's. I've shot deer with my 260AI. The wife has used her 6.5x55 on a couple mulies and a moose. My hunting partner has dumped a dozen or so northern Alberta whitetails with his 6.5x55. The load he uses is a 140gr TBBC and the wife shot her moose with a 140gr Speer GS although her load has changed to a 130gr Accubond. Although I have something bigger for elk and moose I wouldn't hesitate to use any of my 6.5's for them.

My 6.5-284 shooting 140 vld has had no problem taking down the biggest of elk. IMO the 6.5-284 has the best long range capabilities with the least amount of recoil of any caliber on the market. If you are like me, and are not a big fan of recoil, but still want a riflle that is good out to 1000 yds on elk size game, this is your rifle. I've had a hard time understanding the ultra mag craze with the big loud muzzle breaks. Seems like overkill on elk size and smaller game.

My 6.5-284 shooting 140 vld has had no problem taking down the biggest of elk. IMO the 6.5-284 has the best long range capabilities with the least amount of recoil of any caliber on the market. If you are like me, and are not a big fan of recoil, but still want a riflle that is good out to 1000 yds on elk size game, this is your rifle. I've had a hard time understanding the ultra mag craze with the big loud muzzle breaks. Seems like overkill on elk size and smaller game.

OOPs...... now you did it!! You are going to stir up the folks on here that suffer from severe magnumitis!! Don't you know that you have to have at least a .338 for anything bigger than a Texas Whitetail??

All Joking aside, I am with you on just about everything you wrote, except I shoot a 6.5-06AI. I am going to shoot a Mountain goat next month in BC with a 6.5x47Lapua.

To each their own on the super magnum wizzbangs as long as they are not shooting them around me.

I took down an elephant at 1206 yards with a 6.5

Stop it! He was referring back in the 1890-1930ish when ballistics weren't really a concern. If you had a gun, that is what you used. Big magnums and elephant guns were just coming into their own during WWI when used to hit German snipers behind steel plates. Get educated and then make a comment.

Tank

I was feeling left out. I don't own a 6.5 and the one I want is a creedmoor. And posting a joke comment about it, will in no way show you anything about my education.(liltank)

Last edited:
I have shot a small 6x6 elk at 925 with a 6.5x284 shooting the 140 VLD. Hit him behind the shoulder and he was quatering away and the bullet broke the scapula on the other side and stopped at the hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.