Biggest Bobcat to Date--Coyote Bonus

tt35

I had a coyote hunter,Carl, here this week (harperc from here on LRH). We had a great day and on the last stand of the evening I spotted a bobcat on the top of the rim above us. I whispered to Carl to not move I had a cat on the rim. Carl didn't have any bobcat tags so I got ready to take the shot. The 'cat was at 120 yards so I moved my shotgun out of the way and brought the rifle around slowly. My bipod legs were adjusted too short to get a solid hold on the 'cat so I reached forward to lengthen the legs. At about that time Carl whispers, "I've got two coyotes coming off the hill!" When it rains, it pours! I'm like, "Oh, shoot!" Carl tells me to just concentrate on the 'cat and unselfishly lets me take the shot at the expense of an almost sure hit on at least one of the two coyotes.

I had a really solid hold on the 'cat now and I see him tip back at the shot. One coyote gets out without being seen again but the other goes back up the ridge and stops. The light is fading, however, and the low magnification of Carl's scope doesn't allow him a good shot and he has to let it go.

I head up the ridge to try to retrieve my 'cat but two attempts to scale the rim leave me a little weak in the knees and wondering if I was going to end up stuck there for the night. (I'm kind of a sissy when it comes to heights!) I end up coming back down and we took the truck up the road until we found a lower spot on the rim. By now it's completely dark and I'm thankful I put a headlamp in the glove box of the truck. Carl drove the Toyota back down to a spot straight below our stand location to give me a reference point and I eventualy find the bobcat just back from the rim. The 35 grain Berger from my .204 didn't even leave a leak in the chest of the big cat. I realize his feet are so big that both won't fit through the loop on the TBO Coyote Carrier so I put just a front and back foot in and sling him over my shoulder picking my way on down the rim to the next spot I can get off.

The bobcat was by far my largest. I wasn't able to weigh him but he measured 46 inches green and it looks like he will measure 44 1/2 inches dry on the stretcher. I'm hoping the fur buyers will like him as much as I do!

Here are a couple of pics.

HarperHunt010.jpg

HarperHunt008.jpg

My son, Ben, and I went to try to find him a bobcat Saturday. We weren't able to call a 'cat but on our last stand we had two coyotes show up. Only one committed to the call and I was able to take him as well. Again, a big male.

Here's the hero shot of the coyote.

CatHunt.jpg

It's been a blessed week. Got to spend some quality time with some great individuals and take some nice animals.

Merry Christmas to all from No Off Season!

Just got home Tim, I was glad you got at least one picture. Guys this picture does not do justice to this cat! If BC had a category this one would be there. I've seen one weighed at 33 lbs-this was bigger, 46" long, and it was bulky as well. As far as hides think Snow Leopard or something equally exotic. Cold dying batteries gave us a bit of camera trouble, and my photo skills could use polish. I've never been a hide friendly guy, but Tim's .204, and this cat definitely have me rethinking that position. Tim's undertelling the retrieval a bit crawling the edge of the rimrock in the daylight gives me pause.
I really had a good time, great people, my one hope is I took my bug with me. Half way there I had laryngitis, by day 2 it was bronchitis. I had to call it a day after the first stand of the second day. 6 coyotes spotted on this one. Multiples seemed to be the norm with only one stand not producing.
I went to learn, and I'm still processing. I can't recommend this hunt highly enough. In terms of shaping my equipment thoughts alone it was worth it. Very cost effective, if your looking at getting into predator calling, going to a target rich environment with a knowledgeable mentor will shorten up the learning curve. Tim's truly committed to No Off Season, No Bad Days.
I had the opportunity to use a couple of this sites sponsors, for this trip, and they really came through. Mike from CS tactical helped with a Mark 4 scope purchase that would have given a bit more useable daylight, but I couldn't get the rifle I put it on to shoot well enough, and used another rifle that has a 1.5-5x Leupold, great in close, but a little distance in the last of the light it's a bit limited.

Thanks a million, guys!

Carl, it was awesome to have you here but try not to talk up your hunt too much--I may not be able to live up to those kinds of numbers every time! I want to thank you again for your unselfishness in letting me have the shot on the 'cat. That was a stand-up thing to do in anyone's book! You're welcome in my camp anytime!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.