Big Horn Mountains canyon scene

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
485-small.jpg

My wife and I just returned from a week in Wyoming and really enjoyed it.

This is a scene in the Big Horn Mountains of northern Wyoming.

Notice the lines emanating from the upper right and lower left corners. This strengthens a composition.

The cattle are placed in the lower right corner for added interest.

Normally the exposure range in a shot like this is a challenge. In this case I used High Dynamic Range (HDR) processing software to make the image display about like how my eye saw it.

For 18-years - I love the Bighorn Mountains. It's fun to ride ATVs and horses up there. You can run accross mountain lions, moosers, elksters, muleys, white tails, coyotes and other critters. You can start on the West side - North of Tensleep, WY at 4,000 ft. elevation, and make your way up to around 9,500 ft. on the dirt roads.
Ya--bring a camera...and gun...

One of the small canyons on the south side of Hywy 14A, just west of its junction with 14 up on top of the northern end of the Big Horns. Maybe 8 miles west of the Bear Lodge Resort where I usually stay.

The software is Photomatix Pro. HDR, or High Dynamic Range software.

It reduces the dynamic range or contrast in the scene. This image is a combination of 5 different shots done with different exposures.

Last edited:
LOL.... that is what I thought. That is our old cow camp country. Our cabin is on Bull Creek, right above Bear Lodge. Those cows in the picture are Larry's ! Spent many summers riding that side of the mtn.

thanks Len.

I missed a 4x4 with my crossbow on Bull Creek! The next day I checked my sight and found I was shooting 6 inches high at 82 yards, I shot over it. The 3rd day I shot a doe at 72 yards a mile or so west of there.

Last edited:
Nice picture of Wall Rock Creek Len. I hunted those areas this last year with archery tackle and found an unfortunate scene in Bull Creek. A pack of 5 wolves had moved into the upper end of the drainage and seemed fairly established in there.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts