Big Game Scope Recommendations??

MZmoose

I'm picking up a new Win Model 70 in 300 WSM for hunting everything from Sheep to Elk. I'm new to long range hunting as I haven't taken a game animal past 300 yards and haven't used a scope with a top magnification higher than 9 power. What optics would you recommend for big game hunting out to say, 600-700 yards? Assuming I'm able to get the accuracy and confidence needed to make good hits at those ranges. Im hoping to keep the price of the scope under $1200? What are your thoughts on this setup and recommendations?

Checkout the Sightron SIII series scopes, if you do a search in this site you'll see many satisfied owners.

I think your set up is fine your intended purpose esp. if you hand load and take advantage of the heavier and high BC bullets, i.e. 180gr and up from Berger (VLDs), Nosler (AB), etc ...

Good luck!

Ed

If you are going to use a ballistic reticle which is realistic at 6-700 then take a look at the Zeiss Conquest Rapid Z scopes. Good value, I just looked at them but got a deal on another scope. Sightron is a good recommendation as is the Vortex scopes. All of these would allow you sufficient MOA and a chance to learn how to use the turrets. Also start getting familiar with one of the ballistics program on your phone, iPod, computer etc.

Yeah the Sightron SIII do look pretty good. What power range would you recommend for hunting big game? I was thinkin getting a scope with a top end of about 20 power but don't want to go higher than 6 power on the low end just in case I get a close shot.

I do handload and was planning on trying the 185 - 210gr Bergers and the 180- 200gr AB Noslers.

It looks like the Sightron are 2nd Focal Plane scopes which I am familiar with. Leupold and Nightforce seem to be expanding their Front Focal plane line of scopes. I understand the difference between the two but I have never put my eye to a FFP scope. I don't see an advantage to the FFP unless you miss your first shot and use the reticle to dope your follow up shot. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP and i like it for hunting and target shooting. For me it's working great, also didn't break my wallet. I'm also new to longer ranges. :)

The real advantage of FFP scopes are that any Hold Over marks or Hashes / Mil / MOA etc are Good-To-Go at any magnification. With a 2nd focal plane scope you have to be on a certain set Mag. for any "holdover" type marks to be accurate.

For instance, a couple years ago a friend invited me on a pig hunt at the edge of some farm land. The distance was known, so I had my "dope" ready and I could have Dialed-In, but being kinda lazy I figured out what the Hold-Over would be and used the reticle. My current scope is 2nd FFP so I had to be at 10x, which was kind of annoying. With a FFP I could have been at 12-14 power and been slightly more comfortable :) I miss that old 300 Win Mag...

Have a good one,
Gary

If you want to holdover and not have to dial get the Conquest rapid-z reticle. More than likely you will have to get the 4.5-14 for a big game caliber. If you want to be slightly more accurate and don't mind dialing I would get the SIII 6-24 LRMOA. I have both scopes(my SIII is 8-32) and love them both for their intended puposes. The Zeiss will have to be set on the power the calculator on the website says to put it on. Mine is very accurate clear out to 800yds.

I use 3 different brands of long range scopes on my hunting rifles and would readily recomment them:

Zeiss Conquest 6.5X20 - Duplex reticle
Leupold MK IV 4.5X14 - Duplex reticle
Burrix Xtreme Tactical 4-16 Mil-Dot

Reticle type does not make much difference to me. Clear optics, adjustment repeatability and value do.

For the money, I would say the Zeiss Conquest is the better scope.

I've used the Zeiss Conquest line of scope extensively. For the use you describe, my choice has been the 4.5-14x44. I used this scope for everything from close in shooting in the timber, to shooting numerous marmots between 500 and 750 yards. Optical quality of the 3 Conquest's I've had were great, and the turrets were good too.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I've decided on a FFP scope and will be trying to decide which model between the Vortex, Sightron, and maybe a Leupold if I can find a good deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.