Big Bummer In Phoenix, AZ

riof16

Well, they shut down our shooting range. I am stationed here at Luke air force base in Phoenix (City life = death), and one of the only little pleasures for a country boy just got took away. I used to shoot at Peoria Rod and Gun club, but it is closed indefinitely for "safety" (i.e. money/politics). I hear the NRA is trying to help, but in the mean time, I'm stuck with Ben Avery - a very commercialized place that isn't fun. Looking at just driving out in the desert, tossing a box down and blasting away.

Anybody on here know any other solutions Phoenix local?

Lafe,
Thats a REAL bummer, happens all the time on this side of the big whale pasture, so i know how you feel, alas we dont have the option of the desert or the public range either.

I have voiced my anger on this subject many times in past threads and its the little hitlers who make me most angry, especially when they destroy a top class ultra-long range fascility in the name of upholding their little bit of power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Lafe,

That really sux. You deserve better than that!!!!

I could tell you what me and my shooting buddy did but you'd probably weep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just keep your eye on the northwest when it comes time to settle down. By northwest I mean Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.

Really appreciate your service.

Roy, I appreciate your kindness. The value in my years of sacrifice is known when I realize I fight for people/friends/Americans like you.

I am in a bit of a dilema. My heart seems to have been born for either Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana (having never yet hunted there, mind you), but my family is in Ohio. I think the solution is to buy an acre or two and build a hunting cabin. Maybe someday. Take care, my friend.

Lafe,

I am involved with a hunter ed group that uses that range for range day.I believe that they closed it because of the EPA,something to do with all the lead. Now our class has to use Ben Avery and we can only use it for a few hours not all day like we did out at Peoria. There is a club out in Buckeye.I dont have any info but I bet you could find it in the phone book.I believe it is The Buckeye Sportsmans Club or something like it. Good Luck

Lafe,

Sorry to hear this. I was born at Luke AFB and grew up in Phoenix. If you belong to an organized shooting club in the AZ area and shoot some of their 1000 yard matches there, the folks at Ben Avery will let you schedule a time to use the 1000 yard range which is typically closed to the general public by yourself. They will want to see your score cards as well as proof of membership to the approved club.

Hope that helps!

I grew up and spent 20 years in Mesa outside of Phoenix. If you are thinking of just going out to the desert to shoot, there are plenty of places. One of the favorites is out by the 4 peaks area. They recently have closed some of the shooting areas down due to the stupid ATV people that go off trail and "ruin habitat." There is also an outdoor shooting range that isn't horrible. On the upside, you can legally hunt coyotes in city limits now in most parts of AZ with a bow or shotgun.

riof16,

Many options, my friend. You can go out on the West side of the White Tanks, take a dirt road off the scenic route and find a place. As long as that area isn't built up that much (sorry, it's been several years)

Some of my favorite areas are around here: Drive North towards Lake Pleasant. Take 99th Ave until you hit the Carefree Highway (74) and take a left. Once you pass the lake and climb the hill, you can pick a dirt road on either side (south probably better) or you can go a little further until you're out of the foothills for some flatter areas.

It might be a little further to drive, but sure is more fun watching them targets bounce all over the desert. Range limitations are as far as you can see. Just keep an eye out for dirtbikes on the weekends tho.

Or, take I-17 north to Table Mesa Road and head West. Popular area to shoot, riders there as well, so you may have to look around a little to get the right distance you're looking for.

Can't wait to go back home and shoot...too many darned trips to the other desert keeping me away.

Chris

I belong to Riosoladosportsmansclub.com it is on ellsworth right below the giant words <Phoenix in white on the mountain. I usually go several times a week and can shoot out to 500 meters. You are more than welcome to go as my guest. They have 15 covered benches on the High Power range and lots of places to shoot prone.
Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Tarey

I'm from Ohio also, moved here 9 yrs ago, but my dream place to live is Montana.

I belong to Riosoladosportsmansclub.com it is on ellsworth right below the giant words <Phoenix in white on the mountain. I usually go several times a week and can shoot out to 500 meters. You are more than welcome to go as my guest. They have 15 covered benches on the High Power range and lots of places to shoot prone.
Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Tarey

I'm from Ohio also, moved here 9 yrs ago, but my dream place to live is Montana.

Great place I have shot there many times while living in Mesa.

Shoot straight & stay safe.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.