BH209 290 gr Loads

trailrider121

I did some searching did really find what i was looking for. I'm working on a load for my 50 cal 290 gr Barnes TEZ using BH209, any have any good loads to start at?

It will completely depend what your gun likes. I've seen two guns of the same model be completely different. MLs are like that.

I'm shooting a 300 gr. Hornady XTP Mag bullet with 105 grains of powder. Very accurate in both my TC Encore and my CVA Accura. I have an uncle who shoots 110 grains with a lower 200 gr bullet. Good Luck.

I did some searching did really find what i was looking for. I'm working on a load for my 50 cal 290 gr Barnes TEZ using BH209, any have any good loads to start at?

Mine likes 110gr. Of BH209 with the 290 Barnes (yellow Sabot) with the hot Fed 209 primers. Runs at 1950 and sub MOA as well.

According to most of the replies, 110 grains seems to be the magic number. My load uses the same but with the 250 gr TMZ and 209 Winchester primer in my T/C Prohunter. Only other thing I can add is just make sure your ML is a magnum with this charge. Could produce to high of pressures in a Non-magnum that would ruin the rifle.

Also, if you have a tough time finding accuracy try swapping out the T/C sabot with a Harvester crushed rib "Yellow" if you try the 250 gr boat tail bullet.

WRG

I am a long range muzzle loader hunter. I have a .50 cal TC Omega with laminated wood stock that shoots very nicely at long range. I have only shot BH209 through this gun.

omegakahles.jpg

This is my elk load:

85.2 gr by weight of BH209
300 gr Bonded Shock Wave in a Harvester sabot or a 290 gr Barnes TMZ
Winchester 209 primer

I have a Kahles scope with ballistic reticle and it lines up almost perfect out to 300 yards. The lines are 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards.

Kahles3-30x50.jpg

This is a 200 yards group:

Omega_300_bonded_sst.jpg

At 300 yards, the group opens up to 4" but I will take that. The POI is about 3" below the POA but it's well within minute of elk. I will be carrying this combo for my mule deer hunt in October except the bullet will be a non-bonded SST. Deer are not hard to kill and I don't need 2+ feet of penetration.

The 85.2 gr of BH209 is equivalent to 120 gr by volume. I weigh all of my charges now and the flyers have gone.

Thanks guys for all the great info. I haven't been out yet to shoot some loads, next week is rifle season opener. I plan to get to the range to try loads from 110 grs to 120 grs. Seems to be the ticket. Are you guys swabbing between shots? Or just keep loading till accuracy falls off?

Thanks

hntbambi, I agree, once you find the optimal charge weight by volume for your rifle with the 209, weighing the charge out after that makes for a very consistant charge. I get the same accuracy you do with my Prohunter.

trailrider121, I can usually get 10-12 shoots off before the accuracy drops off and a swab or two cleans the barrel up pretty quickly.

Here is another tip to accuracy, try using a spin jag to seat your bullet. It helps to rifle the lands into the sabot as opposed to just marring the sides of the sabot. Much better launching pad for the bullet!

WRG

Since I went to BH209, I do not clean at the range...period. My longest string without cleaning was 40 shots, with no change in accuracy. With Pyrodex and T7, I swab between shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.