Beyond 2500 yds

Shumba

This post is mainly to try and learn from people here that know and also to satisfy a curiosity. Craig Harrison holds the longest confirmed kill with a 2.47 KM or 2700 yard shot. The shot, or shots, was made with a AI 338 lapua with a S&B PM 5-25x56 scope with internal elevation adjustment range of 62 MOA, far inferior elevation wise to say Nightforce. (the S&B adj info came directly from New England Custom Guns, distributor of S&B). Even with a Mil dot scope 18 MOA would be the max amount of added elevation using the reticle for a total of 80 MOA. (please correct me of I am wrong) given this info how would this soldier have gone about making this shot? My 338 edge would require 148 ish MOA to get to that distance and the Edge with a 300g Berger at 2850, I would have to assume, possesses substantially superior ballistics to whatever factory ammo was fed to his 338 Lapua.

The article I read said he made two hits on different people, how? Looking forward to hearing what people have to say. Also, I have S&B optics and they are second to none in many departments but why would a government in this case the UK pick a sniper scope with that limited amount of elevation Adj, as compared to some scopes with 100 MOA?

well he could of had a 20 or 40 MOA base and he was in the mountains of afganistan which would probably be around 8,000 or 9,000 for elevation. the ammo he was using was probably pushing that 300 grain lockbase bullet close to 3000 fps. and he hit 2 taliban machine gunners while they were laying down.

Even if he had a 40 MOA rail he still only has 62 MOA of adjustment + 18 with the std mil dot reticle. The rail just gets it close to the bottom of the range to fully utilize the full range, unless the rifle was set up with a bottomed out zero of around 800 yards (18 MOA above the center crosshair as zero) and he would still be 50 MOA short. I cannot imagine that his rifle would be set up with a rail that prevented him from shooting closer than 800 yards, I could be wrong though. Feel free to correct me if I'm off base And have not reasoned this put properly, I will appreciate the knowledge.

I'm certainly no expert, but I remember reading about Bob Furlong (back when he held the record) setting the .50 ammo out in the sun to warm it up and squeeze a little more juice out of it. At altitude, it seems every little bit helps.

I'm always amazed at the little tricks these guys come up with. gun)

Not sure how the MILL DOT system works, or which focal (sp) plane that it is on, but, my 5.5-22NF with an NP R2 retical...

Ten 2 MOA hashmarks for a total of 20 MOA at 22X

Ten 4 MOA hashmarks for a total of 40 MOA at 11X.

Ten 8 MOA hashmarks for a total of 80 MOA at 5.5x.

80 (reticle) plus 40 ( rail) plus say 80% of the available dial up, or 80 MOA(scope) = a total of 200 MOA.

It can be done!!

Not sure how the MILL DOT system works, or which focal (sp) plane that it is on, but, my 5.5-22NF with an NP R2 retical...

Ten 2 MOA hashmarks for a total of 20 MOA at 22X

Ten 4 MOA hashmarks for a total of 40 MOA at 11X.

Ten 8 MOA hashmarks for a total of 80 MOA at 5.5x.

80 (reticle) plus 40 ( rail) plus say 80% of the available dial up, or 80 MOA(scope) = a total of 200 MOA.

It can be done!!
Can you see a man size target at 2700 yards @5.5x zoom

I would think you could but not to good sure not going to pin point any thing. I can see my 12 X 14" steel @ 2100 at my range but that's far as i can get. i would think you would want to on a lot high mag than 5 far a shot like that.

Weather or not you can see a man sized target was not the question. question was simply "HOW" with limited adjustment.

Asked and answered.

Besides, the origonal posts says it would take 148 MOA. I could use 11X (40 MOA) to get the job done.

Not that it is relavent, but can you see a man at 2700 yards on 11X?? My guess is yes. I think even at 5.5 you can see good enough to make the shot...rely on the spotter for imput.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.