Better Quality Dies?

windwalker1

O.K. I've been reloading for 30+ years, and I have always bought and used RCBS dies and press, But now, the guy who got me interested in this Long Range shootin tells me that there are better dies[ read finish and tolerances]. So, if you would, could you folks direct me to what you believe are the best dies to purchase today? I'm lookin to load for a 300WSM.

Thanks in advance
Mark

Standard RCBS dies works the neck more than I like on the set I bought. I like the redding S neck sizing dies for what I'm doing. Just got the 001 and 002 under bushings (my loaded cart). You might look at the mic head dies also for seatind depth, I think someone else may elaborate more on that. Probably depends on what effect you what to get in your particular situation. . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Good Luck
Mark

for just standard no nosense dies I like Forster and the Lee collet dies are right their with their sizers.

If you don't turn necks and want to neck size only than the Lee collet dies are the way to go.

Hi here is the trick measure a loaded round then get the neck of the die precision reamed to 4 thou under that measurment and turn the expander down or fit a smaler one so it does not touch the inside of the case and the RCBS die will work flawlsely for seating dies Wilson Hand dies are awsome or Redding Competition but for price and reliability the Forster Benchrest dies are verry good and if you use multiple projectiles get one with a micrometer seating depth spindle on it. The RCBS Rock Chucker presses are up there with the best available so dont wory if you have one of those.

Cheers Bill
Australia

WOW, you guys are great, This site is great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm waitin to here from JDJONES on some dies. Yep, I'm gonna continue to use an old Rockchucker. It's turned out alot of loads for me in the past. Just hafta learn some of the newer techniques and take my time. Can't thank you all enough.

Mark

The best dies available are the ones that custom die makers build. What I have done in the past is have the gunsmith make a seating die with the reamer he has cut the chamber with. Then after test firing the rifle a few times, send that reamer a blueprint and a few fired cases to the diemaker. He will return a perfect sizing die that will do wonders for your case. Only way to go. The difference between the best factory produced die and the custom die is like the difference between a production rifle and a custom shooter like Chris Matthews builds.
db

Son, bootstrapping on the advice already given you, I am a hanloader of 50+ years for may disciplines. Yes the Forester and Reading bushing dies are "off the shelf" state of the art; however, if you are going the custom die route, I use Newlon Precision bushing dies,SS or Carbon, at $49.00 that are ready to ream. 17-338cal. (209)-968-8141 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.