Best youth deer rifle

I like the way you think. Most of the new hunters I take out are teenage girls. I have 4 daughters. Slight frame. Before we go hunting I take them out and tie balloons about 6" diameter to sage brush and we pop them from 50 to 150 yards. They have a ball & I get to watch them and help correct any problems. Some don't even notice the recoil. The ones that do we try a shoulder pad and that seems to work.

The Ammo is something I have had to play with. The 243 likes Remington 100gr corlock "sp". Sub moa at 100 yrds. Some of the others can be over 1 1/2'

Same here with the girls, females are great shooters! I use gallon jugs with water and they get in to watching the explosive water sprays!

There was no mention of budget.
DPMS lightweight hunter in 243.
low recoil and 308 upper could be added as they grow.
I am a big bolt action fan but it seems that all the young'uns want black rifles.
just an opinion.

You know if your budget will let you the DPMS Ar even the 308 recoil would be really low.

Most stores that sell ammo have Remington and Winchester, and maybe Federal in the popular (for that area) calibers. You can test different brands at the range, and 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards will let a 12 year old hit a deer out to 250 yards depending on the caliber used. A 243 is a good starter rifle and can be used for other things, such as varmints. A 30-30 is just fun. I think a .308 would be a bit much for a 12 year old unless he's big for his age. A Ruger American with the adjustable stock could grow with him, and it would be easy to re-barrel to .308 or any other short action non-magnum. Just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.