best twist for the .338 350 gr wildcat bullet?

Trebor,

First off welcome to LRH!!

I have a 1-10 twist in my Kahn and it will handle the 350s out to 500 yards. I have not tested them yet at serious range but will soon.

I am getting 3050 fps in the 338 Kahn. In the Lapua, Richard Graves told me that his factory sako shot the bullets very well as far as accuracy with its 1-9.5 twist I believe it was but velocity was only in the 2500 fps range because he had to seat the bullets so deep. In a properly throated single shot rifle, or repeater used as a single shot, the Lapua would probalby play with the 2750 fps level depending on barrel length.

If I were to build a 338 Lapua and was going to use this bullet, I would look at a 1-9 twist just to be on the safe side.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Fiftydriver,my barrel is a 30" lilja with bat m action,
I think when i rebarrel i'm going to get alonger barrel and maybe change twist.I'll wait and see how yours does past 500.

Trebor,

I am trying to get my 257 and 270 Allen Mags ready for an exotic sheep hunt the beginning of April in Canada but hope to get some testing with the 350 gr ULD in the Kahn as well.

I will report when I get the results of the testing.

You have a great platform for a rifle, obviously you know what it taked to get quality results!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

If the bullet is stable at 500 yards, it will be stable further out as well, more and more stable in fact. This doesn't mean it will be stable through the transonic range, but any stabilized bullet has no guarantee it will either. When the temp drops you may run into a problem if it's borderline stabilized.

Kirby,

What temp and pressure have you tested them in the 10 twist barrel at?

It would be interesting to know (but take more than a few bullets to find out) if you ever slow those bullets down, at what speed they finally go unstable. Seems that the 10 twist might be borderline enough that reducing the speed to 2900 fps or this could begin to happen, maybe.

What's the length of the 350 gr, Kirby?

Brent Moffitt,

I would probably agree with your comments though I have never tested them on paper to see where they start to show nose tears.

I will say that you will not get anywhere near 2900 fps with these bullets. I am getting around 2750 fps and could possible get 2800 with WC872 and that is in the 338 Kahn.

You must be thinking about the 300 gr pills at 2900 fps.

As far as bullet length, the Sierra Matchkings I have measure an average of 1.708" in length, the 350 gr Wildcats measure 1.902" in length.

Basically the same length as a 22-250 case!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Trebor,

First off welcome to LRH!!

I have a 1-10 twist in my Kahn and it will handle the 350s out to 500 yards. I have not tested them yet at serious range but will soon.

I am getting 3050 fps in the 338 Kahn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby,

Here you get 3050 fps, so I'm confused? Not sure where I misunderstand you here??

Kirby, in an earlier post you recommended a 1 in 9 twist for the .338 using the 350 grainers from WILDCAT BULLETS. Well who the heck makes a 1 in 9 twist in a .338? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Go to Short Mags.org.Click on reloading ,scroll down to the twist rate calculator.It will give you all the info you need.

[ QUOTE ]
Go to Short Mags.org.Click on reloading ,scroll down to the twist rate calculator.It will give you all the info you need.

[/ QUOTE ] hardcase that was neat, who the heck makes a 1 in 9 twist barrel in .338? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brett Moffitt,

I apologize, Inhailing to many fumes off the lathe!!!

The 3050 fps velocity is what I am getting with the 300 gr ULDs. This is a relatively mild load but plenty for what I am doing.

The 350 gr pills top out at around 2800 fps which is a warm load. 2750 is much more comfortable.

again, I apologize for the typo, maybe I need to be sleeping more and typing less!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

3sixbits,

Pac-Nor makes a 1-7 and a 1-8 twist in 338. For the Lapua or RUM class rounds, the 1-8 should work very well.

Personally, if my 1-10 twist 338 Kahn does not handle them at extreme range, I will have Lilja tool up to make a 1-8 338 barrel and I will use them. Cost a bit but in my opinion would be well worth the cost.

Pac Nor barrels are quite good though, especially the Super Match barrels which is all I would ever recommend for such a rifle.

Decent price as well.

www.pac-nor.com

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Black Diamond 408,

You certainly would have plenty of case capacity even with the 300 gr throat, in fact the 350 would probably be a much better match for this huge case then the 300 gr ULDs would be. Should get more consistant velocities with the heavier bullet.

I do feel the 11.5 twist may be to slow for this bullet though. Increased velocity will only take you so far with stability. Since you have the twist it would be interesting to see if it would keep these bullets on point at long range.

To be honest, I would guess it will not but worth a try.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.