Best tactical scope rings?

matt_3479

I need to buy the best scope rings for the money. I need to save as much as possible but my burris xtr rings just broke after there first outing. i might return them for a full money back and then buy a new pair or just get them to replace them. If i were to buy a new pair i dont know what to get but i dont want to spend a ton!

any thoughts?

How in the world did you do that? :rolleyes: Wow, i've probably got 6-8 sets of those around here.... as for good & cheap go, it's Burris XTR, if you want good,

NightForce
Badger
Leupold MK4
American Rifle Company (ARC) <these things are awesome.
Seekins
Murphy Precision

Just a few here.....

Interested in how your ring broke...

Last edited:
I've had extremely good luck with NightForce, Badger Max 50 ( would bet these are pretty difficult to break ) and Ken Farrell. Guess it depends on your definition of what price constitutes a "Ton"......but generally you're going to pay more for the higher quality rings. Better materials...better machining tolerances....perhaps better anodizing etc.

Wayne

So i put them on my scope and egw base on friday and i took them out on tuesday for the first outing. 15 shots and we had to call it a day cause of weather. today i was getting ready to go and i used my hand to make sure the bolts were tight and it just broke. it moved like it was loose so i took a look and touched gently and it just broke.

Nightforce is hard to beat in my opinion. I have seen Bagers brake too. The wedge under the cross bolt that tightens against the rail broke in half upon recoil. And, yes they were torqued correctly. Buy good rings and Rails and only cry once.

Jeff

Buy once cry once, I whole heartedly agree...

Are you using a torque wrench of some kind to tighten them? Burris will probably give your money back or give you another set. which part broke exactly?

The screw that holds the rings to the base.

my issue is im 18 and trying to save for school and save for my Montana elk hunt this year as well as i just picked up my PST so im running a little low. So the Badger and the Nightforce and Murphy precision are pretty expensive at minimum wage :p

I've use a couple sets of the Weaver tac rings and they've been treating me good and I'm brutal on them, the scope on one rifle get taken of a few times a month and I'm not dainty with it in the field either.
The Burris rings have a good reputation, I would think something went wrong with the install or you got a bum one.

Guess I would second the motion to buy a torque wrench. The only time I've managed to break the very same bolt was when I didn't have a torque wrench. Purchased a Seekonk...65 inch pound model.....smooth sailing ever since. With out it...a guy could over torque any brand of ring and break the bolt.

You invested a fair amount of money in that PST scope....for a young person....Taking care of it would include getting really decent rings. Guess I'd try and save as much as I could....like someone else said buy once, cry once.

Wayne

TPS are pretty hard to beat for the money. I mean Really hard to beat. I have leupold mk4s on o.e rifle and TPS on 2 others and wish I would have found TPS sooner.

I have Seekins 20 MOA base and medium rings on my Savage 10flp, they take a lick in and keep on ticking! I'm really happy with the quality and durability for the price!

OP, I can appreciate your position, first things first, get your originals replaced, I have beaten the living dog snot out of my XTR's, I'm pretty confident in them. If you aren't so sure about them, Start looking at the classifieds here, every once in a while you can get an outstanding deal on high end used but not abused equipment.

Start searching torque wrenches as a couple of us have said, the last one mentioned I don't have experience with, Borka makes a suprisingly good little unit that can be picked up pretty cheap, I'm running Snap-On but at >$200 ea, they aren't for everyone. Torque wrenches really are worth it, I don't know how I got so far w/o one...:rolleyes:

Let us know how the store/Burris treat you on your rings, i'd like to hear.

To be honest, I am not clear on what makes the Rings "Tactical".

So take this as you will, Warne Rings have been very good for me with no issues whatsoever and they are reasonable as compared to most.

They are on all my rifles now.

1+ on TPS rings & base. Just FYI if its man made it can and will fail for some one Aircraft engines are inspected and put through extensive testing and cost into the millions & some times one just fails. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.