Best sizing lube ever?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mountainman56, Jun 21, 2014.

1. mountainman56

mountainman56 Well-Known Member

Clapham's beeswax salad bowl finish.

I was resizing 300 RUM to 7mm Dakota. Now I have resized numerous cartridges in years past both to smaller neck size as well as shorter overall. Today I was gettin my butt kicked. Resizing the necks was no problem but when I got down to the shoulders the problems began. I kept folding the shoulders and ruined half a dozen brass. RCBS sizing lube ain't what it used to be and could not find my sizing wax no matter how many shelves and drawers I emptied.

My southern engineering attitude kicked in when I found a jar of beeswax salad bowl finish. Wow........this stuff works incredible! So I got to thinking (always a mistake) I use beeswax, murphy oil and I think mink oil in a blend I make for lubing patches for my traditional muzzleloaders. This also worked just as well as a sizing lube, if maybe not a little better. Might have to play with the recipe a little if I can ever find it again. Never the less, I'm pretty sure this brand of beeswax is going to be a permanent fixture in my reloading room........at least until I have to treat the cutting boards again.:D

2. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

first I've heard of beeswax as a resizing lube... My pops used it along with alox to lube bullets back before we had lube- sizers though.

3. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Sounds like Imperial Sizing Wax. No more problems since I switched to it.

4. BEEMAN

BEEMAN Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea. I don't think I will ever run out of bees wax. My bees produce about 6-7000 lbs every year. The honey flow is about 3 weeks away here in Manitoba.

5. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

+1. Last forever too.

6. mountainman56

Who knows........it's probably what sizing wax is anyway. I lived in Manitoba for two years from 82 till 84 in the metropolis of Waskada. :)

7. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Imperial is some good stuff!!!

8. RHC

RHC Well-Known Member

I prefer the Redding Sizing Wax to Imperial because it is thinner. Easier to wipe off. Hornady Unique Case Wax is my second choice if I have no Reddinh.

9. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Imperial Sizing Die Wax is from Redding. Says on the can "A Product of Redding Reloading Equipment". Unless you have a really old can, I guess.

10. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I don't understand why RCBS lube didn't work for you.
    I dropped sizing wax because of stuck cases with it, and RCBS lube took care of it.

11. mountainman56

I don't know. Used it for years and years myself. This is a new container and it nearly got me in a bind..........literally.

12. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

I hope they didn't chnage anything as I'm on my last bottle of rcbs, but it sounds like they may have with your results. I guess I'll buy both wax and lube next time and try both.....

13. chrishatley

chrishatley Well-Known Member

I stopped using the rcbs stuff because it was rusting the inside of my dies. I use ballistol now, and my dies are rust free.

14. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I keep a small bottle of synthetic commercial deep drawing compound and use that on my lube pad. Never an issue. In as much as it comes in 5 gallon pails and 55 gallon drums, thats a bit too much for reloading. I use Master Chemical Synthetic Drawing Compound undiluted.