BEST Shotgun SLUG for 32" Full Choke barrel

etisll40

I have an 1897 Shotgun and wonder if I can shoot and kill a deer with a Shotgun slug? It has a 32" barrel that is FULL CHOKE?

Is it safe to do?

Is there a particular brand of slugs to use? Type?

Got lots of deer.

Thanks guys. I guess I will let it collect dust. I like to take a deer with every gun in the house. Maybe I'll shoot a squirrel with it, birdshot only of course!

I have shot foster slugs from a 20ga mossberg 485b with a full choke and they work just fine. Pretty accurate too. GREAT bird gun. Holds a tight enough pattern at 60 yards to drop a small pest bird stone dead with a puff of feathers.:D Works great on turkeys too!

I have an 1897 Shotgun and wonder if I can shoot and kill a deer with a Shotgun slug? It has a 32" barrel that is FULL CHOKE?

Is it safe to do?

Is there a particular brand of slugs to use? Type?

Got lots of deer.

I know those old Winchesters well. Killed my last Turkey with one and a stout turkey load. I would do a little test before you try a slug. See is a dime will fit in the barrel as a gauge. Many of these old timers had the choke already shot out of them before we ever got them. I have owned many that was closer to an improved a than the full choke they started life as. So why not do a little measuring. I think many of them already have a history with slugs and that can open up the full choke wedge. Especially if they come from a state where deer hunting is done with slugs and has been for years.lightbulb

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts