Best shot placement

RFtinkerer

I'm going to be hunting whitetail deer for the first time this year, and I've been taught in my hunter's ed to shoot through the lungs and heart area. Yet I see people talking about high shoulder shots a lot in here. What are the benefits to each shot? I'm assuming the lower shots lose less meat, but the high shoulder breaks them and knocks them down faster, is that correct? I'm not particularly worried about meat loss, I'm worried about killing them fast.

If the high shoulder shot causes sufficient trauma to the spine then it will kill faster. If however the bullet only breaks one shoulder the deer may run quite a distance especially if the bullet does not strike significant lung tissue or a large enough blood vessel. Dead center in the heart lungs typically kills in a very short time although yes, they do usually run a short distance.

If your just starting stay with the heart-lung shot. A lot less room for error. It's a good shot even when the animal is moving or quartering with a small adjustment.

The high shoulder is a really good shot if placed correctly and if in steep country it can prevent a animal from going clear to the bottom of the canyon. I use it when the animal is somewhat broadside and not moving and it's a fairly level shot such as cross canyon.

There is always meat loss and that has never been a issue with me.

I don't go out hunting looking for only 1 particular kill shot in mind. I take advantage of whatever quick clean kill shot the animal presents me with. Be that a heart & lung (my favorite cause its real forgiving as well as very effective) or a high shoulder, or a neck or a quarreling shot thru the boiler room.
However I am also patient enough to know that if I can't make the shot offered I will pass the oppertunity & maneuver until I have the advantage. This gets a lot easier with each year of experience, & each animal harvested. But as with all experience, sometimes the lessons learned are bitter. You learn quickly that the sinking feeling in your gutts when you botched the shot is NOT one youd wanna repeat. Thus the more experience (good or bad) the easier the decision to shoot or pass becomes.
You are obviously a responsible person to ask the question. I have no doubt you'll make the right call when the time comes.
Let us know how you did when you lay the smack down on your deer.

I don't go out hunting looking for only 1 particular kill shot in mind. I take advantage of whatever quick clean kill shot the animal presents me with. Be that a heart & lung (my favorite cause its real forgiving as well as very effective) or a high shoulder, or a neck or a quarreling shot thru the boiler room.
However I am also patient enough to know that if I can't make the shot offered I will pass the oppertunity & maneuver until I have the advantage. This gets a lot easier with each year of experience, & each animal harvested. But as with all experience, sometimes the lessons learned are bitter. You learn quickly that the sinking feeling in your gutts when you botched the shot is NOT one youd wanna repeat. Thus the more experience (good or bad) the easier the decision to shoot or pass becomes.
You are obviously a responsible person to ask the question. I have no doubt you'll make the right call when the time comes.
Let us know how you did when you lay the smack down on your deer.

Spot on advice man!!!gun)

Around here the high shoulder is the ticket,because it is thick & tracking can be tuff not to mention dragin him back through.A little meat loss is worth it.
we're allowed a dozen here a year.gun)

Everyone has given you solid advice. Practice shooting a lot and take the advice from the previous threads. I agree with everyone though I prefer the high shoulder shot due to them dropping in their tracks. But keep in mind shot placement and type of bullet you are using. I would suggest that it being your first WT hunt stick with the heart and lungs. As mentioned before you will do fine. It shows a lot by you just asking the question. In my opinon there is never a dumb question if your not sure of something and there are a lot of members on this site that can give you a ton of tips.

A lot depends on the weapon. With a rifle that high shoulder will be OK most times, having said that there is a few inches above the lungs and below the spine that is a "No Man's Land" in other words there is nothing vital there, This is especially true with an arrow or bolt!!
The lungs is a very forgiving shot that will kill any animal and it's a huge target area. Yes it is true that they will run a short distance 100-200 yards, but at the end of the trail there is a dead deer there!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts