Best scope for your buck

Jabulani

I am starting out and is in the process of trying to figure out what the best scope for my money would be under $1000.00
I am looking at the SWFA 10 x 42 Hd witch is almost the same price as the IOR Valdada.
Any comments or preferance on these.

It will help to know your application. Are you putting it on a lightweight carry rifle? A heavy long-range set-up? Are you hunting or target shooting? How far out will you be shooting, with what cartridge? Do you want target turrets, ballistic reticle, both? Is super clear glass more important than durability, or vice-versa?

The more info you provide the better the responses will be.

Ok let's have a look at what I have and where I want to go with it.
The rifle I want to use is my Remington 700 BDL in 7mm - 08.
This was used for silouette shooting ( I don't know if you have this dissipline in the States.)
I currently hunt with this little gun and use it on just about everything up to Wildebeest (I live in South - Africa) with no problems.
I would like to keep it as a hunting rifle but for longer ranges.It does not nesseseraly mean that it has to be a rifle you have to carry around all day.I will hunt with it for plains game (Springbuck....) where you can be stationary and take shots at just about any range within your capability.
I would however like to use this as a 500 - 800 yard gun.
I will probably upgrade at a later stage to somethig more suitable for those realy long shots.
The conversion of this will be a process ( I am sure it is the case with most guns)rather than a total rebuild,starting with the optics.
I am confident that the rifle can do 800 yards with the correct load and bullet combo as is , with the correct glass mounted .
Botom line is that we are a bit limmited with what is on offer in SA and therefore I need some input from people who have used the different scopes on the market.It is not that easy to go to a dealer and ask for the model you are interested in to have a look at.
Appreciate all honest feedback.

+1 on the Sightron SIII. I got mine (8-32x50 MD) for $840 shipped. It's a lot of scope for the $. The clarity is awesome and the tracking is true. The focus is a little tight but I'm hoping that will loosen up after it gets some more use. I like it really well. In hind sight, I think I should have just went with the 6-24 and had the extra vertical adjustment. At 32x it's easy to lose the target upon recoil. I usually end up on 20-24x anyways. It was definately a big step up from my Nikon Monarch. (which is still a nice scope though)

Feenix... It's the old 'he said, she said, they said.....

You knoiw bertter than to recommend any brand because all the naysayers chime in with the 'mine is better than yoiurs....'

Sheeeeeeeesh.

My comment isw you have a thousand bucks, go shopping.:D

My recommendation is go to a local gun shop and peer through various optics and then decide.......

or... 'One mans celiling is another mans floor'......

For a thousand bucks you can get a lot of scope or a down payment on an S&B or US Optics.

My recommendation is go to a local gun shop and peer through various optics and then decide.......

Willem stated this isn't a good option where he lives.

Bottom line is that we are a bit limited with what is on offer in SA and therefore I need some input from people who have used the different scopes on the market. It is not that easy to go to a dealer and ask for the model you are interested in to have a look at.
Appreciate all honest feedback.

Willem,
There's a lot of information on scopes that has been discussed on the Forum in the past. If you use the Search function from the menu tab located just beneath the 'Welcome, Willem Gertenbach.' greeting on your monitor, you should be able to locate and review Forum member opinions on a variety of scope brands and models.

I've owned and still own one IOR variable power scope. On higher recoiling rifles with muzzle brakes, they used to come apart internally. They may last on your 7mm-08 just fine though. I've never owned an SWFA scope, but they have a reputation for being a quality scope for the money.

I currently own three Sightron III scopes, 6-24x50mm MOA, and those scopes are continuously getting good reviews from owners as being a great scope for under $1000, which is your stated budget.

Thanks for your reply.I will do some research as you suggested.Don't want to open a can of worms here.
To be honest I never even considered Sightron but looking at some of the responces this is something to consider.
Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.