best scope for around $550

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by killerspoons, Jun 6, 2012.

1. killerspoons

killerspoons Well-Known Member

I was looking at the

wonder optics 4-14
    hawke sidewinder 4-16 or 4-14
    vortex viper hs lr 4-16x44
    falcon menace 4-14
    nikon monarch 4-16 or 5-20
    millet trs-1

I don't really like the nikon only because it has only around 40moa of adjustment.
    this scope will be used for hunting around 500 yards when i get good enough and i hope to get out to 1000

2. Forrest Ebert

Forrest Ebert Well-Known Member

You didn't mention what caliber your rifle is that your going to be putting the scope on as it has a lot to do with your list of choices! So with that said I would lean towards a Vortex or the Monarch. Depending on your caliber 40 moa is plenty for 1,000 yrds. as I shoot a 1,000 yrds. using 31 moa in my 6mm AR Turbo imp. and if you use a scope base with like a 20 moa built in then you have plenty of travell!

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Horus Hawk is my pick

4. Rem700

Rem700 Well-Known Member

You may want to add Sightron to your list, they have a real good following over at accurateshooter.com and i haven't heard one bad word about them yet.

I have 3 buckmasters and a monarch and i'll never buy any more nikons. None of them will shoot the box accurately, and i have to re-zero my rifle afterwards.

5. marinetowgunner

marinetowgunner Well-Known Member

Scopes with 1" tubes will have limited amount of travel. If you use a canted base on your rifle then you will not have a problem.

6. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

I own the Vortex in 3 flavors and I own the Nikon in 2. I'd take the Vortex over the Nikon any day. They are brighter and clearer, and with a 30mm tube I noticed a wider field of view at the same power.

As noted in a post above I'd also add the Sightron SII Big Sky at that price range. I have two SII's (non-Big Sky) and like them for their price point. The Big Sky version is much nicer but I have not done a comparison with the Vortex so I can't help directly in narrowing down between those two.

7. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

You can also get the Leupold mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LRT for just a bit above $550.00.

It's a scope I'd consider in that price range for sure.

8. gamehawker

gamehawker Well-Known Member

9. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

bushnel's 4200 tactical, vortex viper and sightron are worthy scopes in that price range.