Best rifle reloader?

sc_24

What is the best rifle reloader The rcbs such as the rock chucker supreme kit or the hornady equipment such as the autoprogressive? Someone said dont get the hornady because they are hard to get stuff for.

The best equipment is not determined by the technology or price, but by what best fits the needs of your reloading process. Personally, neither of the brands you mention are my top choices. If I needed a large quantity of pistol ammo, one of them would be. What do you need?

I would not buy a 'kit' . Waste of money. They sell them at inflated pricing because no one ever really does the research to get the right equipment for their style of reloading. Buy your main components first to get you thru case prep, then practice on a bunch of cases. Then figure it out from there.

Best kits for the money, and you get quality stuff, is the Lyman Crusher II Expert kits. They come with what you really will need to reload with.

redding forester or lyman presses. redding or forester dies and shell holders.

For single stage reloading the Rock chucker is best and has enough leverage that belted cases are a breeze. For the money Redding dies are the best. I also agree with lever-hed that kits are a waste of money. They might come with what you "need" but not what you will want later on. Most kits come with very cheep scales and other crap.
Reloading can cost you a lot of money starting out, but if you start out with upper end equipment it will last you a life time and you will be happy with it.
I would try to find some one that lives in your aria that reloads and see what they own and what they like and don't like.
That way you can make up your mind with more knowledge of just what YOU need.
What your going to get here is what WE like and not what might be best for you. The other thing that I would do is look at WHERE you're going to reload. Too many people start out by buying equipment before the bench and it just doesn't work. Its like buying the cart before the horse.
My suggestion is to pick a location where your going to reload then build your self a bench that will be a permanent part of your shooting collection.
If you want a progressive press then the only one is Dillon.
If you want a good location to look at upper end equipment, check out the following.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/

Best and best for you is a very subjective question.

Best in terms of indestructible would be a corbin s press for single stage and a dillon 1050 for progressive. But thats in a perfect world for people with some serious spare $.

I would recommend the rock chucker for general hobby use. Just get the press don't mess with the kit. If you have the money go up to the ammo master it will allow a larger bore diameter and more flexibility down the road.

If you have a good stable basement or garage with a cement floor I would recommend an electric scale. If not go with the rcbs 1010, its a superb scale that will last your life time.

Aside from that find what you like, read the midway reviews on a case trimmer, tumbler, powder trickler... etc Go in to a cabelas or similar store and handle them if you can. I love my redding powder trickler and my buddy hates it its just preference. Go for as high a quality as you can afford.

For the best bang for the buck get the redding dies, they are just good dies I really prefer them over rcbs.

The top of the line in single stage presses is the Forster Co-Ax. Snap-in/out floating die retention, automatic shell holder jaws, flawless spent primer/debris handling and strong/accurate construction are all hallmark features of the Co-Ax.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.