Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

Broz

Ok, I have a Swaro RF1 1100, Leica 1200, and A Burris B-1500. They will all range good in early or late day conditions. The Burris will range the farthest is all conditions. But it seems they all do 1/2 of their max range in bright conditions. The swaro and Lieca poop out at about 600 and the burris will go 7 or 800 in bright cond. Do I have to break the bank to range to 1000 or 1200 in the bright sun at noon?? What are you guys using?? Am I asking for to much??

Jeff

I really dont have that much of a problem with my swaro in the sunlight. Granted it does its best on a cloudy day, but it will still get me out to 1K or a little more in the sunlight.

I have tested pretty much all of the RF on the market right now and the swaro is by far the best with exception to the Vector, but if you can afford that then we need to become hunting buddies. Swaro is pretty good with there warrenty, you might call them and see if they think there is a problem

take it easy
steve

I really dont have that much of a problem with my swaro in the sunlight. Granted it does its best on a cloudy day, but it will still get me out to 1K or a little more in the sunlight.

I have tested pretty much all of the RF on the market right now and the swaro is by far the best with exception to the Vector, but if you can afford that then we need to become hunting buddies. Swaro is pretty good with there warrenty, you might call them and see if they think there is a problem

take it easy
steve

My Swaro is the older RF-1 and it was just in to them for clean and service. They did it free!!:cool: So mine may not be as good as the newer modle. But my Leica 1200 scan and the swaro work about the same. I wish I could try some of them in the field. Yesterday I could not get the burris or Lieca to range a 12" x 36" steel target at 800 yds.:mad:

Thanks for the input Steve.

Jeff

Do I have to break the bank to range to 1000 or 1200 in the bright sun at noon?? What are you guys using??
Jeff

Jeff,

You only have to break it enough to fund the current model Swarovski. I don't think mine has ever failed to range 1200 yds. It will range farther than I can shoot at a big game animal, which is what I wanted it to do. It will almost always reach out past 1300-1400 yds under the conditions I've used it. I think I've reached 1700-1800 yds on occasion but I don't usually even try to range that far out.

Prior to the Swarovski, the Leica 1200 would sometimes fail to range sheep or terrain at 700-800 yards while hunting in the mountains. That wasn't good enough for my needs.

Paul

Jeff,

You only have to break it enough to fund the current model Swarovski. I don't think mine has ever failed to range 1200 yds. It will range farther than I can shoot at a big game animal, which is what I wanted it to do. It will almost always reach out past 1300-1400 yds under the conditions I've used it. I think I've reached 1700-1800 yds on occasion but I don't usually even try to range that far out.

Prior to the Swarovski, the Leica 1200 would sometimes fail to range sheep or terrain at 700-800 yards while hunting in the mountains. That wasn't good enough for my needs.

Paul

Thanks Paul, Sounds like our needs are the same. What exact modle Swaro do you have?

Jeff

My Bushnell 1500 will range a road sign at 1600+ yards in bright sun, after I got it I ranged the same sign every day coming home from school, 1592-1594 yards. One day I stepped it back to about 1650 and then a car pulled to the side of the road so I took off!

the current model swaro is the one people talk about being the top dog. as far as the practical market is conserned it is the best option. the only negative aspects to it are possibly the aiming reticle, a orange circle. The circle is a little large for precision ranging, but you can overcome this by ranging the objects before and past the target and then deciding on your range. The leica has the better aiming reticle but it does fail in bright light past about 700yds, at these ranges i have also had a hard time ranging dark objects (angus cattle). I dont sell or have any experince with the Newcon but i have heard good things. as for the max range of the swaro, i have gotten ranges on cloudy days out to 1998yds repeatedly on a tree line. now this was in overcast weather on a big target. in bright conditions i can get out to 1000-1200 yds consistantly

IMOP go with the swaro, it ranges farther than any other on the market and it has a good warrenty department.

have a good un
steve

Thanks Paul, Sounds like our needs are the same. What exact modle Swaro do you have?

Jeff

Jeff,

I see it advertised as the 8x30 Swaro Laser Rangefinder. It's the same one Steve is talking about, and the only one I've seen marketed by Swarovski the past several years. I bought a demo or Shot Show model from an authorized Swarovski dealer on the internet which came with a full warranty for $729 about 1 1/2 years ago. I think they run in the $800-900 range, depending on how hard you shop before purchasing.

The other benefit of the 8x30 Swarovski RF is the glass is so good you can use this rangefinder as a high quality monocular if you want to save some weight by leaving the binoculars behind. I believe I've read that the glass is the same as the Swarovski 8x30 SLC binoculars, which is some pretty good glass. I've used mine spring bear hunting, sheep hunting and caribou hunting and the clarity is awesome. When I focus in on something at long distance I can hardly believe how sharp it comes into focus. You won't be disappointed in comparison to the Leica 1200s. The Swaro has better glass than the Leica and will range much further. Really no comparison performance wise.

Paul

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I need to off the two I have now and invest in a new swaro till I can afford to step up from there.

Steve, do you sell the swaro's? Do you take trades?

Thanks! Jeff

Yes we sell them, we dont do trades though, sorry. I would imagine you could get good money for it on Ebay though, i know alot of guys having great luck with that.

Check out www.3rdgss.com for all of the stuff we carry

thanks
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.