best rangefinder for around $300

Find a used Leica 1200, you'll have something far better than what you'll get new for 300 dollars!!!

+1, if you seriously want to range a deer at 600 yards you will need a Lieca 1200 or better. Used ones start at about $425. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra $125, it will work for you and also protect your investment better if you ever want to sell it.

Jeff

best rangefinder for around $300 - I don't think the best one for under 300 bucks would be good enough.

Gotta say Roy that the Bushnell ARC1000 does a darn good job and if you shop carefully, it can be had for less than 300 bucks. Mine has been banged around and generally abused and it performs just fine.....

Mine religiously tracks within 2 feet out to 700 yards and ranges past 1000 yatds on reflective objects plus it has a rudementary ballistics program that you can pre set for select groups of cartridges. Not the ideal G7 program, but better than a wet fart.:D

I use mine regularly for gaging field perimeters when farming fields with irregular boundary lines.

There's a Very nice looking Leupold RX-1000 for sale in the LRH Clasdifides for $200. That'll do fine to 600+.
Wish I had $200 to burn, cause I know quite a few folks who'd love that one!

I've outgrown my Leupy, & need to step up to the Leica or Swaro, but can't afford it yet. I love my Leupy, & my dad will inherit mine cause he doesn't shoot that far unless were practicing. The TBR is a sweet function for steep angle shooting. Gives temp, range, true ballistic range & angle in degrees (or automatically corrects for it depending how you choose to set it up), has tons of Reticles to choose from, has a bow setting, rain setting, greater than 150 setting etc. Great product, just doesn't reach far enough for me now a days.
Id recomend a Leupy for the price range your lookin at.
If you plan on going beyond 700ish yds in field conditions, spend more $ now on the best you can afford.

I recently purchased the Leupold RX-1000iTBR rangefinder and love it! I had compared it to the Leica 1600 yarder that cost around $800, and after comparing the two, decided that the Leupold for around $400 was as good as the German rangefinder. I saw no reason to range out to almost a mile, other than to check to see how close any farmhouses were. $400 extra for that? I don't think so. The Leupold can range up or down and is very small, lightweight and easy to use. The readouts are also a bit brighter than the Leica. You may not want a 1000-yard capability, so Leupold offers rangefinders that don't range as far as mine, but they are less expensive. I wrote a review on Amazon that may explain things in more detail. Mine's the one at the top. One more thing: If I had to purchase it again, I would have gone with black instead of the camo. The camo is nothing more than the black rangefinder wrapped in camo; this made the rangefinder a bit more slippery in the hand, plus it cost about $20 more than the black one.

The reviewer below my review mentioned that he felt a tripod was needed. Hogwash. I have had the rangefinder for at least six months and found no problem with lack of steadiness when using the rangefinder free-hand. Maybe the guy had the shakes, but I found no problem with the Leupold. The power on the Leupold was 6x, while the Leica was 7X. No huge problem at all with a very small loss of depth of field. Don't get me wrong; Leica makes a good rangefinder, but I compared the two side-by-side for several days, after which I sent back the Leica. The additional $400 just didn't justify its purchase. I still think I made the right decision by purchasing the Leupold. I sure wish they would come out with a rangefinder in orange. If you drop the camo model in the grass/leaves, good luck trying to find it again, and I really don't think the animals will notice an orange RF.

Hope this helps... Barry

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-112180-RX-1000I-Break-Up-Rangefinder/product-reviews/B004IGIF54]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Leupold 112180 RX-1000I TBR W/DNA Mossy Oak Break-Up Rangefinder Compact 6X[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.