Best quality belted brass?

tim jurczak

Hi. I'm getting set up to shoot a new 6.5 STW. I'm looking for opinions on the best full length belted brass. Lapua is out right off the bat. Some say Norma is soft but is it? Please give me your thoughts. Tim

Hi. I'm getting set up to shoot a new 6.5 STW. I'm looking for opinions on the best full length belted brass. Lapua is out right off the bat. Some say Norma is soft but is it? Please give me your thoughts. Tim
I load for 2 belted mags, the 300winmag and 7mmremmag. I use Winchester brass in the 300 and Nosler brass in the 7mm. I have been impressed with the winchester brass. It is kind of rough when it comes new and takes a little prep work, but I have some that have been loaded 5 times with some pretty hot loads and the primer pockets have just now started to slightly loosen. The nosler brass looks really good right out of the box. It doesn't require as much prep work as the winchester. Some say that the nosler brass is made by norma. In my experience the nosler brass is maybe just a little softer than the winchester. I started having a few slightly loose primer pockets after 4 loadings.

Norma quality out of the box is very high. Winchester quality out of the box is very low and needs a good bit of work.

If you are running max loads the Norma will get loose primer pockets quickly.

The way I look at the world is that a hunting license cost me from $150 to $1,500 and if I shoot twenty times on a hunting trip then I have burned about $30 which with gasoline being $4 a gallon nowadays will not even fill up the tank on my truck much less get me 2000 miles from home to where the elk live and back. In the scheme of things high quality brass is a totally insignificant cost.

I really like peterson brass use in 3 belted magnums.