best press for 338AX and other large calibers

marrandy

Hello.

I'm looking to buy a press that will handle a range of rounds from .223/5.56 all the way up to the 338ax/.50 large caliber rounds (maybe ready to reload late next year for the larger chosen rifle/round).

But I don't want to have to buy Two presses.

I don't intend to go for plinking/mass production, more accuracy matches to the rifles I have.

It has been suggested that a Rockchucker Supreme II or Redding Ultramag press would be suitable.

What are your thoughts ?

What are people here using for the larger caliber rounds for high accuracy, long range.

Thanks...Martin

Last edited:
I'm just getting into reloading, but I went with the Forster CO/AX press. From some internet research and friends the reload, it gets very high reviews.

I haven't used it yet (waiting for 338 RUM brass) but it seems pretty nice.

Sorry to say, but you need 2 presses.
Forester Coax for almost everything.
AmmoMaster 2 for the 408 Cheytac cases.

You only need one press; the Redding Ultramag press would indeed be suitable.

I have a buddy that owns two or three Barretts in 50 caliber, and went thru several presses before he finally bought one that was built for the 50 caliber browning round. He had trouble with the press comming loose from it's mounting on an wood bench. So I made him one from aluminum that bolted to the wood top. It didn't last. I then built him one out of steel with a steel washer plate on the bottom side of the bench top. That held. Must be a lot of pressure when full length sizing that case!

I personally think one would be best suited to own two pree setups here rather than one that in the end will me marginal on one group and overkill on the other. The Redding will probably do well with everything, but think it will be maxed out of the big cases.
gary

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Keep them coming.

I appreciate that a one size fits all isn't an ideal solution, but at this point in time, I have to move ahead in stages.

If life picks up, I will likely get a Second Press but I need to start somewhere.

I was originally looking at the :-

1) Rockchucker Supreme II - approx. $150

2) Redding Ultramag - Approx. $250

but you can add

3) Forster Coax - approx. $250

Let's assume I go with the 338AX. Can the Coax load the 338AX ?

I'm quite interested in that as it doesn't require individual shell holders and the twin guide rods seem to make it very stable.

Thanks again...Martin

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Keep them coming.

I appreciate that a one size fits all isn't an ideal solution, but at this point in time, I have to move ahead in stages.

If life picks up, I will likely get a Second Press but I need to start somewhere.

I was originally looking at the :-

1) Rockchucker Supreme II - approx. $150

2) Redding Ultramag - Approx. $250

but you can add

3) Forster Coax - approx. $250

Let's assume I go with the 338AX. Can the Coax load the 338AX ?

I'm quite interested in that as it doesn't require individual shell holders and the twin guide rods seem to make it very stable.

Thanks again...Martin

what are the COAL deminsions of a loaded round?
gary

From what I have read, depending on bullet 3.7" to 3.85".

Its also will the 338ax fit in the shell plate of the Coax.

I have already emailed Forster, but haven't heard back yet.

I was hoping someone here had a Forster Coax and used 338ax and could explicitly tell me/us.

But there again, Kirby's new Raptor 300 has a OAL of 4.100"

It makes it difficult to decide which press to go for as I haven't made a final decision on the round yet.

Last edited:
When I step up to the .338/.408 I'll be reloading with one of these. CORBIN PRESS I'm sure other presses will work, but most aren't nearly as tough. Good luck.

Yes, I looked at that as Kirby mentioned Corbin had been trying to get him to buy one.

CSP-1 - S-PRESS, with punch holder, handle retainer - $598.00
CSP-2 - Mega-Mite Press without floor stand - $998.00

But for some reason, I changed my mind ;-)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't think the Co-Ax press comes close to being long enough. Looks like 3.3" might be about it for full length sizing. Seating a round will probably be around 3.5" with some fiddeling, so I don't think there's enough in there to get it. But I do know at least one guy that loads 340 WBY mags in one, and that's about 3.6", and the press will do all the full length H&H cases. A lot of that just depends on where the die ends up in the press. Otherwise the window is a little over 4". Be nice if you knew somebody that had one close by to see if you could do it.
gary

I don't think the Co-Ax press comes close to being long enough. Looks like 3.3" might be about it for full length sizing. Seating a round will probably be around 3.5" with some fiddeling, so I don't think there's enough in there to get it. But I do know at least one guy that loads 340 WBY mags in one, and that's about 3.6", and the press will do all the full length H&H cases. A lot of that just depends on where the die ends up in the press. Otherwise the window is a little over 4". Be nice if you knew somebody that had one close by to see if you could do it.
gary

Well that's supposed to be the positive of the internet. Changes the local gun club knowledge into a worldwide one. Providing people engage and share.

At the moment, i haven't seen anyone that has a 338AX respond.

I'm going to search and PM them and I will point them back here to see if they will give their personal setup and feedback.

Well that's supposed to be the positive of the internet. Changes the local gun club knowledge into a worldwide one. Providing people engage and share.

At the moment, i haven't seen anyone that has a 338AX respond.

I'm going to search and PM them and I will point them back here to see if they will give their personal setup and feedback.

I'm in Indiana, so if your close by; your more than welcome to see if you can get it done on my press.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.