Best overall bullet choice for my .300 Ultra?

lv2hunt

I am on a quest to find the best over the counter bullet choice, reloading is currently not an option for me. I have searched over the forum and online for answers and cannot find a conclusive answer, maybe you all can help me decide.

Rifle: Remington 700 Sendero SF II chambered in .300 RUM

Hunt: Northern Idaho elk, black bear, and mountain lion

Goal: Would like the bullet/round to perform and have enough knock down capability to plus or minus 750 yards

My research as of now, all signs point that I should be using a 200 grain bullet. The three bullets that I am interested in so far are:

Bullets: Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, Swift A-Frame

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and opinions.

Thank you all for your time,
lv2hunt

My Sendero SF II in 300 Ultra loved the Remington Power Level ammo with 180g Swift Scirocco bullets.

I'm not personally a fan of the Berger bullet terminal philosophy. But, if you're OK with it (a *lot* of people are), then you might check out the Signature Series ammo from Best of the West. 190 or 210g Bergers.

If you do start reloading, a lot of options will become available to you. :D

--Ben

I have shot a alot of accubonds in 300 ultras with great success.Handloaded though. I would put my efforts into getting into reloading.

My hunting buddy has nosler custom ammo loaded with 180AB. It didn't shoot very well. ES was all over the place, it made horrible LRH ammo. I load for him now. It may work for you, but it didn't work very well for me.

I am on a quest to find the best over the counter bullet choice, reloading is currently not an option for me. I have searched over the forum and online for answers and cannot find a conclusive answer, maybe you all can help me decide.

Rifle: Remington 700 Sendero SF II chambered in .300 RUM

Hunt: Northern Idaho elk, black bear, and mountain lion

Goal: Would like the bullet/round to perform and have enough knock down capability to plus or minus 750 yards

My research as of now, all signs point that I should be using a 200 grain bullet. The three bullets that I am interested in so far are:

Bullets: Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, Swift A-Frame

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and opinions.

Thank you all for your time,
lv2hunt

I have to agree 200 grain bullet is the way to go. You have all that powder you should take advantage of it and shoot a heavy well constructed bullet. I have very good luck with the Partitions in any Caliber as do I with the accubonds. I feel the Partition is an all around better elk bullet but it it not without its short commings. However at a Max range of 750 Yards I wouldnt think twice about using it I would just do it. Most people will probably try to steer you towards the accubond and probably in the 180's and they are right to an extent. the Accubond will have a superior flight path, however in real world conditions the difference will be almost negligible. I Stand very firm on my belief that 200's is the way to go if you are after elk. they are very tough, I have seen people loose elk by shooting inferior bullets or too light of bullets. You absolutely want to hammer an elk other wise you may be in for a chase that you want no part of. SO My vote goes 200 Partition or 200 Accubond both are great choices. I have no experience with the swift so I wont vote on those one way or the other.

Thanks for all of the information guys, I appreciate it! I scored a great deal on a whole mess of reloading equipment and am going to load up some 200 grain Nosler Partitions and Accubonds to compare.

Brandon

I purchased a new Rem 700 sendero SF II in 300 Rum this spring. I had a friend load 4 different loads they all shot sub moa. I had my gunsmith put in a custom trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs. I decided to shoot a new bullet, the barnes 175 gr lrx . It has a BC of.508 and being a solid copper bullet will not explode on impact. I had a Huskemaw 5-20 Blue Diamond Series scope mounted with Badger rings and an ACI, angle cosign indicator, so I can compensate for slope shooting. Shooting at the range produced a 2 and 1/16th inch group at 400 yds and a 3 and 7/16th inch group at 700yds .I am currently waiting for my custom turrent to arrive but expect great results from this firearm. To aid in distance to target determination and to complement this longrange shooting system I decided I needed a good longrange pair of laser rangefinding binoculars, hopefully a pair that will compensate for angle shooting. I took a close look at two options the leupold RXB 4 and the bushnell fusion 1600 ARC in 10x42. Only the leupold will give you a ballistic range in the rifle mode the bushnell will only give you line of sight and holdover in rifle mode. I almost purchased the leupold bino until after reading numerous reviews I discovered that model had some serious problems with low battery life . Apparently some sets of binos would work great but some would "eat batteries" I called leupold and discovered there fix, was not to fix the problem but to discontinue the production of this model. I asked the person at tech support if they were planning on a replacement model and he said not to his knowledge. I then purchased a pair of the bushnell fusion binos in 10x42. They are very easy to use and program and give instantaneous range and are really awsome, or so I thought until I started to use the holdover feature in the rifle mode. With a 300 yd zero set in the binos and ballistics group F set the binos said to use 66" hodover while rangeing on a 600 yd target, this seemed to correlate with the info I got off the nikon spot on web page. I then changed the ballistic group selected to group G, a flatter shooting ballistic group and the binos said to use 48" of holdover. This again seemed ok. I then changed the ballistic group to H the flattest shooting group and the binos said to use 50" of holdover this is of course is not even close to accurate as it is impossible to reduce the drop on a bullet and require more holdover at the same range. I then called bushnell tech support and my new binos are headed back to the factory to be fixed. I am interested to see if they just fix my binos or recall the whole batch for repair as I did inform tech support that after I discovered this problem I went back to the retailer and tried another of the same model and duplicated exactly the problem. We'll see what happens. For those of you that might be interested, I used nosler brass, H 1000 Extreme powder, and Fed Prem GM match large magnum rifle primers. I also used one of the recommended rifle break in procedures and a Lucas Bore Guide. Hope this info helps someone!

The 200 nosler accubond seems to be a good choice for a 300 rum the cartrige is so big like was said earlier why waste the extra powder on a smaller bullet with less bc

How does 3370 fps at muzzle and a sub 1/2 moa group at 700 yds, plus a bullet that will kill but not destroy your target sound for a good reason to use a 175 gr barnes LRX bullet for longe range kills?

I have had great luck with the 200 gr accubond. My favorite load is

Rem Brass
Rem 9 1/2 primer
88 gr H1000 power
200 gr accubond
2980-3000 fps

200 accubond or the 208 amax. If you aren't shooting grizzly the amax will be fine and will probably be better on the other stuff as the accubond can act as a bit of a solid. I have one rum with the accubond and one with the amax both great. Someone recommended match kings which are great but I really find them to be the best in the 338s not so much in the smaller stuff where there are Better options.
Good luck
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.