Best Of The West

QuietHunter

I caught part of the "Best of the West" hunting show this morning while flipping through channels. I recalled the name because I read some posts on another forum where one of the guys involved with it was catching some flack.

I thought the show was put together well. Watched them kill a 6x7 bull at a ranged 454 yards and showed how it was done and could be done at longer ranges. I know some others had felt long range hunting was not suitable for TV, but I thought they had the right mix of knowledge, equipment and explanation to pull it off quite well. Shots were kept in reasonable ranges for the situations and it did not show any bullet lobbing.
Two things to improve on:
1. They actually showed a hunter (not a guide thank goodness) tying up his horse using the reins! Later in the show they used a lead rope, but you never know when someone might actually be trying to learn from their examples
wink.gif

2. Address the wind. While shooting some random targets they showed how they guessed the wind and compensated for it. Then while shooting at the elk at 454 yards, they only showed the elevation adjustments. It would have been helpful to newbies to repeat the wind lesson by explaining that it was a non-factor (and why) or what was done about it.

I noticed the show playing on the Mens Channel which usually runs infomercials.

You caught the rein thing too?
I'll have to bust John's nuts about that but he did admit to me during one of our phone conversations that he's not a cowboy, so I guess I'll let it slide this time!
wink.gif

Good show with some good tips.

[ 08-22-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

Don't forget that they stated in the beginning that the hunter, Terry I believe, was on his first elk hunt and it was also his first time on horses. I can see how he might not know about tying up a horse with a lead rope and halter as opposed to using the reins. If you remember, John had moved to the left and was tying up his own horse. I saw the usage of the reins initially, but also noticed later the lead rope being used, so I would guess that John saw it as soon as he got his horse tied up and made the correction before they went after the bull. I have seen first time horse hunters not used to horses and hunting just get off their horse and go to the animal that they have down.

If you have seen all of their videos, as well as "Beyond Belief" you have noticed that some times they mention the wind and some times they don't. I agree that if they are going to stress the equipment and in particular the range finders, scopes and dialing the range that they should also mention the wind and how they read it. At long ranges, under windy conditions, it's just as important as the range.

In an arena such as Long range hunting where new boundaries are being explored for TV, a wrangling issue is very acceptable. I only bring it up because those silly little leather straps get expensive. Anyone who knows better would notice and anyone who would not probably would not notice.

The results spoke volumes on the elk and obviously everything was determined correctly for the elk to buckle like it did. I just would like to see the information given so people can begin to understand the mental checklist that goes on before a long range shot is tried. 454 yards is not that far, but for the average point blank hunter it is a matter of lobbing lead and hoping.

I liked the show enough that I found a future airing and have it set to record on the DVR.

I guess my only hang up with this TV stuff is that it leaves the door wide open for MAJOR criticizm.... by people who may not have even choosen to view it... Thats why I think the Video/DVD thing is a better medium for interested viewers..
The horse thing is a prime example... just a very minor detail but if I was the outfitter or it was my horse there would have been a new wrangler/guide position open...
I've seen way to many bad things happen on a forgotten minor detail...
I realize I am nit-picking but maybe someone sees my point...

Irresponsibility takes many forms and all aspects of hunting can be criticized by those who disagree. I agree that long range needs to be more careful than most traditionally accepted forms of hunting, but if it is done right the by all means broadcast it.
Long range hunting has a tougher path than most, but that is what I like about a program like this. I don't care if I ever watch somebody picking off trophy whitetail off of a feeder in Texas with whatever the latest thing Winchester is trying to market from 50 yards. To me a show that explains the preparation involved and then shows the responsible use and results of that effort is much more apealing.

I dislike half of what I see on TV now days, but I use this cool technological feature on my remote - the change channel button. If that does not work I use the power button and get back to the reloading bench. I sincerely believe more people I know are more offended by any show with "Queer" in the title than any hunting show.

So what you guys are saying is a show called "Queer Eye for the LongRange Hunter" wouldn't be a big hit?
grin.gif

[ 08-25-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

Chris,
That would be my guess too! LOL
I have the last dvd, but would love to find the show. Do you guys know if it's available thru Direct TV? Thanks...

"Queer Eye for the LongRange Hunter"
LMAO. Not sure how to respond. Sounds like it should be under the long range optics section to me.

It is on Dishnetwork's mens channel. I recorded the latest one to air but have not had a chance to watch it.

Its so funny in this country how people are sold on the BS that a 450 shot on an
elk by an experienced rifleman is unsportsmanlike and inhumane.

Go to any thoroughbred racetrack in the country (the only country that runs horses on dirt!) and horses are breaking down all the time. They scrape the track to get "record" race times without any regard to the horses well being!!!

But long range hunters are inhumane?!

Queer eye for the long range hunter... sound like a challenge for any New York City Gay bar....
THe ability to spot a fine *** in any nightclub of 10,000 sq ft or more!

Hey guys I'm not saying that John program is not good or shouldn't be aired on Public TV .. I just think it could cause more headaches than anticipated... My personal preference is not to have EVERYONE interested in LR hunting .. just those who are genuinely capable both mentally and monetarily...
I grew up in a state that had 1.3 million hunters who are easily pursuaded by what they see. MOst have the mentality "if they can do it so can I" I can't tell you how many hunters I saw "lob lead" at deer. Basically using the SWAG method...( scientific wild-*** guess)
Not that I am in the business of marketing or producing this stuff, but I'd like to see it in the hands of people who can handle it...

hope I made sense...

A hunting program on TV ? Interesting concept .Here in Oz something like that would be howled out of existence after the first episode . For the past 20 years most of our city folk have regarded anyone who hunts or owns a firearm as a deranged redneck . Media commentators and soapie writers take every opportunity to show hunters in a bad light . Hunting simply isn't politically correct in the eyes of our urban majority , most of whom think meat is "made" at the butcher shop.
You guys have all this to look forward to .

Thanks for the interest in our show. Thought I might address the concerns voiced here.

1. Terry was on his first bull elk hunt and first horseback hunt. He did use the reins to tie the horse up but I fixed the situation as soon as my horse was tied up. Seems like a pretty minor thing.

2. There was no wind on the 450 yd shot so we didn't discuss it. As you mentioned we did discuss it during the shooting practice. Remember we only have about 22 minutes of content during a show so we can't cover everything repeatedly.

Ric,

You must really go through a lot of wrangler/guides if you fire one every time an inexperienced hunter does something wrong. I always felt that was the purpose of the guide was to help the hunter out when he does something wrong?

I am also curious how you would go about making sure the info only gets in the hands of people "who can handle it". Do you know of someone who is able to judge this type of thing?

Chris,

That new four year old is a mountain eating son of a gun.

Thanks again Guys

I am off on an antelope hunt and we start filming sheep hunts on the first of September so I might not get back for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.