best neck turner four 338-408

Dave

I believe the "Original" Case trimmer will not work with the 408 case without some machining work on the metal housing that holds the collet. The "Classic" is a larger and longer trimmer and will be more likely to hold the case.

[ QUOTE ]
Original trimmer must have the collet housing opened up to .610 inches to accomodate the #4 case trimmer collet. Trimmer mounted Outside Neck Turner requires use of XL trimmer base

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to send my "Orginal" housing back to Forster for them to open it up to accommodate the 338LM case. It was free and quick.

Id say if you were gonna buy a new trimmer buy the redding 2400 w/ the precision mic built in. It will do those large cases and it is by far the most precise trimmer I have ever used.

the Lee case trimmer,in my opinion, is not only the easiest to use, but the quickest, most accurate and cheapest.bar none!

Buffbob,

Thats true, i may have opened up the collet holder years ago and dont remember. I remove the spring clip from the cutter shaft, it makes it easier to get the long shells into the collet-trimmer body, that way you don't need an extra long trimmer. If my poor memory serves me, i bought it in 1975.

I dont do any neck turning on the 338-408 cases. I tried it and didnt see any difference in group sizes. If one has a tight necked rifle then sure. With the different brands of 408 brass, you might see some with thicker necks. When the 375-408 brass comes available, necking down will become a breeze! Just run them through your sizer die, one step.

Dave

Black Diamond 408 when are they coming out with the 375-408 case. I was going to get 150 cases of 408 for my 338am but would put it off if i can get the 375-408. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

New Shooter,

Daves 375-408 along with my 375 Allen Mag will still be made off the same 408 CT case as the 338 version until CT comes out with their 375 CT round.

I have never found a reason to turn the necks on my 338 AM cases. Its up to you but I designed the reamer so there was no need to do so and in my opinion there is not a requirement to do so. If you want to take a light truing pass thats fine but generally 1/2 thou or less will do it.

I would not get carried away turning necks.

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave,

I just measured 10 338-308 CT cases ready to be fireformed to 338 AM. Measured them for thickness around the entire neck. Thinnest thickness measured for the ten cases was 12 thou. Thickest was 12.5 thou.

Kirby Allen(50)

Unless my calipers are lying to me those are the correct thicknesses. They are much thinner then most think they would be but this is a case designed for accuracy.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.