best mid priced optics that wont break the bank!

matt_3479

i just recently picked up a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm for my 243. win and wanted to test the dials. on the third shot i made my first 600 yard shot. Now i am hooked I would like to begin the process of setting up 1 big game rifle for long range hunting out too 600 yard possibly further. I dont want anything that will absolutely run me dry but something that is meant for long range, more then the viper. I was wondering what is in between, something that is good for 600 yards, good tracking, reliable, mid price, just a little bit of everything

Matt, I m not sure what price range you want to be in. But for hunting I have both the BDC reticle from Nikon and The BC reticle from Leupold. They work AWESOME. So easy to shoot out to 600. Good Luck

Matt, You may want to consider one of the discontinued Nitrex by Weaver tr2 4-20x50 SF with pullup target type turrets available at www.natchezss.com This scope is basically a Weaver Super Slam, made in Japan with rather good optics. The pullup turrets track well. After $100 rebate, price is around $250 plus shipping. This Nitrex scope did retail for around $670 or higher and its Super Slam label version retailed for over $800, but presently sells for well over $500. Both Nitrex and Weaver owned by ATK, who also owns Speer bullets, Alliant powder, Federal Cartridge, CCI primers and others. Nitrex warranty handled by Weaver. I have a couple of the Nitrex TR2s and have been quite happy with their optics and features. Only complaint about the higher magnification Nitrex TR2s is weight of the scope....not a good choice if you want a light carry rifle.

Also, be aware that prices on Bushnell's 3200 and 4200 Elite series scope have been reduced recently. Both series are being replaced with newer versions, so maybe a Bushnell 3200 or 4200 worth considering......Natchez, Optics Planet, Midway and others all have reduced prices on them.

Last edited:
The best I have found is the Nikon monarch with mil dot or bdc reticle for shooting 600 or so yards without turning clicks. I never turn clicks on big game shooting that close.

If you want to turn clicks the Leupold scopes have the most reliable click adjustments in the middle price range and by far what I would go with if I turned clicks. To get top glass that will see best through mirage and have exact click adjustments will cost you.

I have a Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA ($899) with a Vortex Custom Turret ($115?) and love it.

Have shot out to 1200 yds. with it. :D :):)

joseph

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.