Best LR Optic's

jbo

Just starting out and want to put together a items for a LR rifle I'd like to build, when money is not the issue. May never get built but worth dreaming about.

Is Nightforce the best LR scope?

Would first or second focal plane be best for LR shooting optic's?

Thanks

Lots of correct answers. It depends a lot on what type of long range gun you after. Here's just a few questions that could change the answer:

Will it be for hunting?

If so, big game & coyotes or setting up over a prairie dog town?

Do you need to carry it for multiple miles a day?

Does it need to fit in a saddle scabbord?

What weight are you after?

What system do you want to use? Yardage direct dialing, MOA chart dialing, retical hold-over, etc.

Will you be faced with an occasional quick shot at close range in low light?

The scope that tops off a competition or primarily range rifle can be very different from what would be the best choice for a rifle that will be in the field, need to be carried longer distances, and be required to make hits under constantly changing conditions and time constraints.

The good (maybe bad) part is that once you build that dream gun, the next dream gun is usually already in the planning process!

Lots of correct answers. It depends a lot on what type of long range gun you after. Here's just a few questions that could change the answer:

Will it be for hunting?

If so, big game & coyotes or setting up over a prairie dog town?

Do you need to carry it for multiple miles a day?

Does it need to fit in a saddle scabbord?

What weight are you after?

What system do you want to use? Yardage direct dialing, MOA chart dialing, retical hold-over, etc.

Will you be faced with an occasional quick shot at close range in low light?

The scope that tops off a competition or primarily range rifle can be very different from what would be the best choice for a rifle that will be in the field, need to be carried longer distances, and be required to make hits under constantly changing conditions and time constraints.

The good (maybe bad) part is that once you build that dream gun, the next dream gun is usually already in the planning process!

Those are great question and thanks for your response, here's what I came up with.

Would be used for deer and elk.

Weight is a consideration but I like to glass, walk, glass etc. so I'm not that worried it would be an issue.

Not used for prairie dogs.

I have a good range finder so I would think direct dialing the yardage.

Not for used for saddle scabbard.

Would be used for LR hunting mostly.

Thanks

I have never seen or used one of Chris's new optics.

Tyler do you have one of these? Could you post pictures?

Does anyone else have any first hand experience the Premier optic?

I did a lot of work with Premier when Dick was still around and I really liked him. He used to call my wire reticle his all day reticle as it took all day to build and install. Thanks for etched glass reticles.

Most of those early scopes have been change to the new etched reticle but there are still a few wire reticles around and working just as well as ever. Ray Milligan has one on his first system and it kills a lot of elk every year.

Premier also helped in developing the right thread pitch to convert the clicks in our scopes to exactly 1/3 MOA. This was all pre custom shop and without Premier it might have been impossible to come as far as we have with the optic and shooting systems.

I have never seen or used one of Chris's new optics.

Tyler do you have one of these? Could you post pictures?

Does anyone else have any first hand experience the Premier optic?

I did a lot of work with Premier when Dick was still around and I really liked him. He used to call my wire reticle his all day reticle as it took all day to build and install. Thanks for etched glass reticles.

Most of those early scopes have been change to the new etched reticle but there are still a few wire reticles around and working just as well as ever. Ray Milligan has one on his first system and it kills a lot of elk every year.

Premier also helped in developing the right thread pitch to convert the clicks in our scopes to exactly 1/3 MOA. This was all pre custom shop and without Premier it might have been impossible to come as far as we have with the optic and shooting systems.

I believe 'Jon A' picked one up late last year and shoots it on an unbraked 300RUM lobbing 240SMKs. He had talked about it on the sight and had some pics as I recall.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts