best low budget reliable scope?

Wheatgerm

I've been doing a little work on a m77. 243 for my wife to have fun shooting while I shoot my big gun. When I put it together I had an old bsa scope setting around so I threw on it. The gun seems like a great shooting gun for as little of work as I've done to it, once I zero it I can shoot less than 1/2 inch groups but it seems I have to re zero every time I take it out lol. Looking for a low budget but reliable scope under 200$ because the gun doesn't get shot very much but I want it to stay on target when I get it out of the safe... the stock is a little long for her so a long eye relief would be preferred

I was looking into the vortex crossfire II or the diamondback with their reticle? But Ive mostly read reviews of the crossfire being mounted on rimfire guns? Would it be good on a 243 as well?
Im open to ideas those are just a few I have looked into. Just want to stay in budget. The more scope for less $ the better! Any ideas?

I've been doing a little work on a m77. 243 for my wife to have fun shooting while I shoot my big gun. When I put it together I had an old bsa scope setting around so I threw on it. The gun seems like a great shooting gun for as little of work as I've done to it, once I zero it I can shoot less than 1/2 inch groups but it seems I have to re zero every time I take it out lol. Looking for a low budget but reliable scope under 200$ because the gun doesn't get shot very much but I want it to stay on target when I get it out of the safe... the stock is a little long for her so a long eye relief would be preferred

I was looking into the vortex crossfire II or the diamondback with their reticle? But Ive mostly read reviews of the crossfire being mounted on rimfire guns? Would it be good on a 243 as well?
Im open to ideas those are just a few I have looked into. Just want to stay in budget. The more scope for less $ the better! Any ideas?
Leupold rifleman

You can't go wrong with a leupold, as suggested. You can often find good deals on used ones on fleabay. A couple of other suggestiongs: I just got a e3940sf bushnell for $200 locally. Great scope; I was surprised at how good it was for that price. I was given a Bushnell Trophy about 7 years ago, not expecting much, but it's held up well and never got out of sync. Not the clearest glass, but it would do for what you described. Plus they're in the $100-125 range, and still Bushnell's great waranty.

My favorite "under $200) scope is the Burris 10x40 mil-dot. They're rugged, waterproof, lightweight, easy to use target turrets with plenty of adjustment for shooting to 1000 yards with most cartridges (+/

Thanks for all the options. This will give me some good ideas to compare to...

And thanks for the link, but I forgot to mention id be looking into something 12 to 16 max power.
Preferable some kind of reticle for hold over or turrets

Might look at the http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/legend-ultra-hd/4-5-14x-44-mil-dot as I believe it'd be a good choice, but I'll run closer to $250.

Also, Burris Fulfield line.

Also note, some Prostaff have a fat bell (objective end) and you'll have to get higher mounts than you'd think for say a 40mm objective. One guy I knew had to buy higher rings and the 40mm Prostaff was just about as fat as a 50mm scope he had.

Thanks for all the info guys.. I know I said this will be mainly for my wife to shoot but im having a tough time deciding what to put on it because I may shoot some rifle golf with it as well.... I still will need a low budged scope but I think I would need the higher power for sure. If it was going to be only for her a 9x scope would be fine. I've looked into the reticle scopes like the bdc but I really like how accurate I can be with my turrets on my 300wsm.

Im really surprised no one mentioned and of the lower priced vortex scopes? I've read they hold zero very well and tracking on the turrets is very precise

Vortex Viper 6-20X44. $279.00 At Camera Land. Good reviews, check it out. Looks like a lot of scope for under $300. Only comes with the fine V-Plex wide reticle, but should be nice if you are going to dial.

At times I have seen the Bushnell Tactical 10x for just under $200 to just over. You get a lot with that scope including really good target style turrets. You will have to shop around though.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts