Best long range cartridge for a .473 bolt face LA

midgetorama32

I want to rebarrel an old 270 post 64 model 70 of mine. The barrel is in tough shape. I'd like enough punch to take elk to 700 yards or so if I ever get the opportunity.

What would be the best performing deer and elk cartridge for this project? I was thinking 284 Win or 280 AI. My only requirement is that they feed well and I've read about feeding issues with both of these chamberings.

Thanks for any advice.

Those would be the calibers I would pick, but you could also add to the list, the 6.5x284. 30-06, and even a 270 using good bullets will do the job. I would rebarrel the 270 to a custom 270 with a 1:9 or 1:10 and shoot the 150 Berger or 150 Hornady SST out of it. That will knock them down.

For the 06, look at a 180 or 190 grain bullet and push the snot out of it. It will fillump them pretty quickly. You could also do a 260.

Tank

The 280 AI would be my first choice without any modifications to the bolt of magazine.

Good bullets , close to a 7mm Rem Mag and a fine performer.

There are lots of other good cartridges that will work with little or no work and some real boomers
if you want to do some work on the bolt face and the mag.

J E CUSTOM

The 280 AI would be my first choice without any modifications to the bolt of magazine.

Good bullets , close to a 7mm Rem Mag and a fine performer.

There are lots of other good cartridges that will work with little or no work and some real boomers
if you want to do some work on the bolt face and the mag.

J E CUSTOM

Does the 280 AI typically present any feeding issues? Thanks.

I would go 30-06 AI or 280 AI. The 06 AI with the 200 grain accubond or 190-210 grain bergers should get you to 700 yds especially at higher elevations. I shoot 200 grain accubonds from the standard 06 from a 22 in barrel and get 2720 FPS using RL17. With a 24" barrel and an AI treatment you should pick up another 50 FPS.

The 280AI and the heavier 168-180 grain Bergers would get you in the ballpark also. You would have to go to a 1:9 twist for the 180 I believe.

Does the 280 AI typically present any feeding issues? Thanks.

In the realy big cases the 40o shoulder can be troublesome if not set up correctly and I recommend
the 35 to 37.5 degree shoulder for better feeding.

But with the 280 AI , A 40o shoulder is OK because of the case diameter (Small) and the OD at the shoulder to body junction.

It will be fine and you will be impressed with the 280 AI if you decide to go that route.

J E CUSTOM

The 280 AI is a good cartridge along with any of the other blown out 7mm's off that case. I shoot three variations and prefer them to the 7mm rem mag. But I don't shoot elk with them. The best elk cartridge I have found for a standard bolt face is the 338 Gibbs. I have two of them and they shoot the same numbers as the reloading manuals give for the 338 win mag. But you can push the 338 win mag 100 fps faster than the books say. Many cartridges off that bolt face will take an elk at long range with the perfect shot. The 338 gibbs will give you a better opportunity if you don't get that perfect shot. Use 35 Whelen brass for it. You can always take deer with an elk cartridge, but don't use deer cartridges on elk. I have never killed an animal to dead, but I have seen many elk run a long ways and never found when shot with small calibers like the 7mm.

I really like my 300 Sherman so far. I built a 6.5 earlier which is based on the same case. It is similar to an A.I. but has 5% more capacity. It uses a std. .473 bolt and I have had no problems with it. I get 3000'+ with my 190 SXR's with a B.C. of .616. I still have 1000 ft. lbs. of energy at 1100 yards and 1550 fps which is adequate to expand my bullets. Last fall the rifle took a mule deer at 680 yards, a moose at 720 yards, and an elk at powder burn range:D. All three critters went down where they stood. You will have to get custom dies and form your own cases but if that is not a problem, I don't know of a better cartridge in a non Magnum. I shot a 300 ultra for years and don't miss it at all. Sure, it will kill out to about 300 yards further than this rifle, but as I stated, this one is good to over 1000 yards without the recoil, barrel burning, lack of case life etc., etc., and with BETTER accuracy. If you don't like the 300, it would make a GREAT .280 as well. That will likely be my next build. For elk though, the 300 ballistically is a little better.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.