Best Long Range Caliber To fit in a Rem. 300 win mag action

Iden

Hi to everybody, I am new to this site and i just want to say i have found this site to be very useful. Thanks all for all the useful info. On that note I am going to re-barrel my remington Model 700, 300 win mag. I want to change the caliber to a 7mm. I am stuck on which one to use. the reason being that i am not for sure which ones will work properly so that its a repeater. I want to use 180 Gr. Bergers. I would like to use this gun for long range elk/deer hunting. Im hoping to be able to reach out to 1000 yards for elk. Or should i just simply stick with the 300. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Any of the belted magnums and Ultra Mag calibers will work on your action. So some examples are: 7mm Rem, 7mm Weatherby, 7mm Dakota, 7mm STW, 7mm RUM. The longer cases, ie 7mm STW and 7mm RUM, would work best with a longer magazine when using long bullets like the 180gr Bergers unless you want to shoot it single shot.

The longer cases, ie 7mm STW and 7mm RUM, would work best with a longer magazine when using long bullets like the 180gr Bergers unless you want to shoot it single shot.
Unless you have the freebore and throat adjusted on the reamer for those Bergers. But then you're dedicated to one or two bullets. Can always open the throat later. IMO, there are other hunting bullets that are just as good as the Bergers and work fine in SAAMI speced chambers, where you're not "backin' yourself into a corner". If ya' can't do it with the STW an UM won't help!

Last edited:
I would like to use this gun for long range elk/deer hunting. Im hoping to be able to reach out to 1000 yards for elk. Or should i just simply stick with the 300. Any help would be great. Thanks.

The 300 Win Mag is an excellent long range caliber. I'd first shoot it in its current state and see how accurate it is. If it is accurate then shoot it as-is and go from there. I'm not sure how much you're going to gain swapping from 300 WM to a 7mm caliber, especially if the rifle is accurate and serviceable in its current form. If the barrel is shot out or you know it's a poor shooter then you may do as you wish.

There are plenty of 300WM rifles that shoot 1000+ yards and take deer and elk. If it were me I'd save money and use what you've got.

The 300 Win Mag is an excellent long range caliber. I'd first shoot it in its current state and see how accurate it is. If it is accurate then shoot it as-is and go from there. I'm not sure how much you're going to gain swapping from 300 WM to a 7mm caliber, especially if the rifle is accurate and serviceable in its current form. If the barrel is shot out or you know it's a poor shooter then you may do as you wish.

There are plenty of 300WM rifles that shoot 1000+ yards and take deer and elk. If it were me I'd save money and use what you've got.

I have to concur with Dr Vette.

Spend the money you save on practice and supporting gear e.g. premium optics, rangefinder, etc.

Once the barrel's not up to par, then choose another caliber such as the 7stw.

-- richard

Thanks for the info. The barrel is not a good shooter. It wont hold a group at all, plus i would like a heaver barrel and a longer barrel. So i really think i need to change the barrel, Plus i already have a nightforce scope for it. As far as the caliber selection, i have never had a 7mm caliber rifle and i hear all these good things about their performance, I would like to switch it up. I have shot the 300 win mag for a long time now and i am looking to switch it up. Unfortunately i know nothing about the 7mm range of calibers. so Im up for any option that would work. I have been reading lately and would really like a 7mm STW, or a 7mm RUM. But i am afraid that it will be a single shot if i seat the 180 VLD to the Lands. Also what about a 7mm-300winmag? will this worK?? Once again thanks again.

If there is a extended mag box for your rifle you'd be fine with the STW or RUM. Then you could throat it correctly and still have the use of your magazine. Personally I wouldn't go bigger then the STW. Above that is the land of diminishing returns. The 7mm-.300 Win Mag is a good caliber in my opinion. It can be set up to use the factory magazine and gives close to STW velocity. A improved 7mm Dakota would be another good caliber. I have 3 STW's and will probably build another 7-300 Win Mag if I build another 7mm. I built one 15 years ago and have dies for it already.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.