Best long range 7mm STW hunting bullet-Berger or SST

rkcolt45

I'm would like some feedback of long range experience with 7mm hunting bullets. I'm shooting a Weatherby Mark V with a Krieger barrel (1:9 twist) in 7mm STW. I'm shooting a barnes 160 which groups well at 500 yds but groups start to open up at 700+. Looking the best, and most accurate, hunting bullet for 500+ yard shooting/hunting. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have used the 180 Berger for 6 years out of my 7mm STW and it is about as good as it gets for a long range bullet in the 7mm. I have taken two cow elk with it one at 75 yards and one at 355 yards. I have shot many whitetails with this combo anywhere from 50 yards to 600 yards. Most animals were DRT only a couple made it a few yards. I have shot it out to 1000 yards on steel with good Accuracy and it bucks the wind very well.

I love the 162 amax as well. It shot awesome from my 7 RM at 2950fps out to 1200 yards.

Its cheap, accurate, high BC, and it plain kills stuff at LR.

Bergers are more expensive and my experience with them has not been as reliable as the AMAX in the way it performs. Sometimes they expand, sometimes they didn't, the AMAX always does, sometimes a little to much, but learn to use the bullet within its parameters and you'll be ok.

I witnessed a big bull taken at 1125 yards with the 162g amax from a 7 RM, so I'm pretty sure it'll do the trick from the STW a bit further.

It is not a close range bullet however, very fragile. Stay off the shoulder inside 500 yards and you'll be ok is about all I would recomend.

Thanks for everyone's response. What powder do ya'll recommend if loading the Berger's or AMax's? Also, I've read the berger's usually shoot better close to the lands (0.010" off). I know every rifle is different but has anyone found this to be the norm? Thanks

Last edited:
This season my STW cleanly took a cow elk at 967 yards, cow elk at 500 yards, and a moose at 557 yards, Mule deer at 505 yards, a mule deer at 497 yards, one coyote at 1022 yards and another coyote at over 500 yards, proving it self time and time again. That's was with 75 gr RL25 168s @ 3030 fps seated .015 into the lands. Now I'm using 180 VLDs H1000 75 gr @ 3038fps and seated way back so they fit I'n the mag .003 neck pressure was the trick. Man what a crappy bunch of bullets those 180s are I had to trim every one but after that they shoot very good!!

H-1000 in the STW works well in the 7mm STW. I am jumping the Bergers .180 in my stw because I load them to fit in the mag box it shoots about 1/2 MOA. If you have the room or are going to shoot it single shot you can start at .10 and work in.

Im another fan of the 180 Berger and H-1000 with the berger 180 vld you can do a lot with the load depending on if you want to shoot it as a single shot or not. I have tried the A Max as well but my rifle didnt like it as well as the Berger but I think it is a great bullet as well

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.