Best Long Range 7 mm STW Bullet

Blacktail

I know we talked a little bit about this in the past but i lost all the info due to a computer issue. Been tinkering with the 140 accubond and a little with the 140 TSX but what bullet would you STW shooters say would be the best all around for mule deer. Thinking bout loading up some 160 accubonds but not sure if i can get it to 3200fps. Any thoughts.

Bergers

I think 3200 with the 160 accubonds should be doable.
My list for long range 7 mm Bullets, Excluding any custom bullets.
180 Bregers
168 Bergers
160 accubonds
162 Hornady

If I was a meat hunter only..160 accubonds. I have had great results with them and accuracy was outstanding. I have been shooting the 168 bergers and they shoot really well. I went to the 180's for the added weight and wind bucking.

Just my opinion.. I think some of the custome bullets out there would be even better!

Willys

I don't shoot a STW but my combo is still a 7mm and, if you have the right barrel combo and the horsepower, the Wildcat 200 gr. ULD RBBT is great. It's given me excellent results on both deer and elk.

I can also tell you that the 7mm Accubond at about 3550 fps has a very adverse affect on a deer's ability to stay alive.;);)

Blacktail,
running 160's to 3200 depends on how hard you want to push it. I Have done it in my STW. they were very toasty loads. but it is definately doable.

Gritt and SS7mm
Do you guys think that the STW has enough jam to see a benifit to the 200gr bullet? or would the 180's be about the limit in the STW?

I use the 200 grain WC in a 18" barrel (7mm Dakota) and it does quite well.
Currently using Bob Caterucio's 176.5 grain VLD as Richard is not caught up yet.
The 180 Berger & JLK are also good options (I have and use both of them too).

Guess i should of mentioned rate of twist is 1 in 10 on a 26" Shilen #5 contour. I am assuming H1000 or Retumbo for the 160. Had good luck with H4831 in the accuracy dept on the 140 accubond but lost accuracy past 73 grains. have some H1000 up to 82 grains loaded but havent had a chance to shoot them. Plus those with experience with the 160's i have heard they like to be very close to the lands?

I shoot 140's at 3550 in my stw for shooting deer to about 600 yards, then move up to the 160's. My personal stw, a mark bansner built, lilja 26" barreled 1/9, rem 700 runs 160 at 3340 fps with about 95 gr of wc872.
gotta agree with dick that the 160's at 3550-3575 fps from those AM's are pretty rough on deer, but don't think they know if it were only a measily 3200 fps!
RR

Those of you shooting the 160 accubonds do they tend like being seated closer to the lands or off a little more. I am getting ready to try a few and trying to take as much guess work out of it as i can. I was thinking bout using H1000 and the cci mag primers.

against the lands shoot best, but a lil jump doesn't really effect hunting accuracy, so I just seat mine at max mag length and go with it.

OH and BTW, my ES is much better with fed 215's than cci primers, ran in the 30's till switching to 215's then it dropped to around 8.
RR

I use a 160 gr Sierra HP pushed by 80.4 grs of H-1000 out of a 26" tube. I never had a Whitetail take a step after being shot. My longest kill to date is 450 yds. because of where I hunt. I get about 3050 fps out of this load. I have a load with 130 gr Sierra bullet pushed by 85 grs H-1000 that gives 3350 fps. I shoot the loads that my rifle tells me is a sweet spot load. Most of my friends like a 139 gr Hornady interlock at max in their STW's. That yields about 3325 fps. So whats your preference? The STW will shoot flat flat flat, if you need it to, or perform like the standard 7mm mag. The deer hate it.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts