Best Long Range 30 Cal HUnting Bullet.

I'm new to elk hunting and haven't shot a bull, yet. I shoot a 300 win mag and probably won't be shooting over 500 yards. I've read a lot of reviews on many different forums by guys that swear by Barnes TTSX, Nosler AB, Nosler Partitions, Sierra Gamekings and a LOT of testimonials on this forum about the Berger 210, 215 and 230. Broz, I've read your post about the 210 and 230 Bergers. At this point I think I would like to get a bullet that has most of the penetration of the Barnes and a lot of expansion like the Berger. That perfect combination of penetration and expansion.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm going to try some 180 gr Sierra Gamekings when I get my rifle back in January. I posted this question in the thread about the Berger failure on elk, but didn't get any response.

Am I making a mistake with the Sierras if they will shoot accurately in my rifle???

Are either the Nosler ABs or the Berger 210 or 215 a LOT better than the Sierra GameKings on elk??? What about mule deer??? I may try to arrange an elk/mule deer combo next fall.

Are either the Nosler ABs or the Berger 210 or 215 a LOT better than the Sierra GameKings on elk??? What about mule deer??? I may try to arrange an elk/mule deer combo next fall.

All of the bullet criteria come back to two important ingredients.
Distance and Impact velocity.

The bullets that give that nice mushroom, or folded over petals look at 500 yards and under tend to not give as good of expansion at 800 plus.

The ones that exit even at 300 yards can sail right through at 800 plus where they may not expand at all.

The ones that are soft enough to expand at the slowed velocities of 800 plus will expand and fragment a lot at 300 < . More than some like to see.

I live in elk country where a 500 yard shot is pretty close. I set my rifles up to preform best for the longest shots. But still kill at 100 if needed. This includes the high BC bullets that will have the least wind drift. Plus I need them to expand even past 1000 yards. We take elk at either side of 1000 every year.

I have shot a lot of SGK and SMK's over the years. So will the 180 SGK kill elk, you bet. Is it a good long range bullet for elk. Not foe me.

Again I will say. There is no perfect bullet for all applications. But know how your chosen bullet works and where it falls short. Then use it to the best of your advantages.

Short answer to your question. "Are either the Nosler ABs or the Berger 210 or 215 a LOT better than the Sierra GameKings on elk??? "

At long distance I say, Hell yes.

Jeff

Short answer to your question. "Are either the Nosler ABs or the Berger 210 or 215 a LOT better than the Sierra GameKings on elk??? "

At long distance I say, Hell yes.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply. I'm probably going to be shooting 250 to 500 yards. I understand that 1000 yards is a whole different ball game. At my short distances, do you think the Berger 210 or Nosler AB are still better than the Sierra GK? What about the Berger 185 classic hunter?

If you were shooting at 250 to 500 yards at an elk, which one would you shoot???
What about mule deer at 100 to 300 yards?

Thanks for your reply. I'm probably going to be shooting 250 to 500 yards. I understand that 1000 yards is a whole different ball game. At my short distances, do you think the Berger 210 or Nosler AB are still better than the Sierra GK? What about the Berger 185 classic hunter?

If you were shooting at 250 to 500 yards at an elk, which one would you shoot???
What about mule deer at 100 to 300 yards?

This is a call you need to make yourself. But I will not load a 180 or 185 jacketed bullet in any 300 win for nothing. Knock on wood if you will, but I have 100% success and have learned from others mistakes over the years.

For 500 and under I would probably go back to the 210 Berger HVLD. I feel it would hold together better at these closer distances than the 215 and for sure better than the ABLR. I killed truck loads of animals with the 210 Berger before I went to the 215 and 230's. That is my personal opinion and I feel that way about the ABLR because I would not want a tipped bullet this close and the bonded bullets use a softer lead to aid in bonding. At least they use to. I have seen and heard of some pretty drastic expansion up close with the 210 ABLR. But want to disclose my personal experience with the 210 ABLR is limited and not conclusive. Read what some others have already said about it in regards to meat damage. One of them has probably cut up more elk than anyone on this forum.

Ya know, at 500 and less the 230 Berger is a HAMMER from a 300 win. But 2775 fps is deemed as too slow for some hunters. Even if it flat hammers any game including huge bulls. I think sometimes way too much attention is given to muzzle velocity and not nearly enough to sectional density. I remember a cow elk a few years ago at 180 yards and watching my son stick a 230 OTM through her. She turned to walk away with stuff puffing out the exit side like a lawn mower as she took her last few steps. This year I watched the same rifle and shooter kill a very nice 6x6 bull at 815 yards when only a through the neck into the shoulder shot was available. Again only a few steps from his bed were taken.

In my world big bullets rock.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts