Best length for slug barrel?

engineer40

My rifled slug barrel is 24 inches. Most others that I see for sale are also 24 inches. It appears that length is the norm.

I wouldn't mind cutting my barrel off closer to 20 inches just to make it handle better.

Thinking through what I've learned more recently about large bore firearms with fast burning powders, I tend to think I won't lose much velocity at all by cutting a few inches off the barrel.

Any opinions on this? Is it a bad idea? Thanks!

I've read quite a bit about this topic since I posted the question. It appears my assumption was accurate. Cutting a shotgun barrel from 24 inches to 20 inches will not result in any kind of substantial velocity decrease. :)

Since my 870 rifled barrel is not very accurate anyways, I may try to hacksaw it myself and see if it makes a difference (in both velocity and accuracy).

Now that I have a 450 Bushmaster and that 460S&W Mag rifle, I'm not sure how much this 870 rifled barrel will get shot anymore.

So far the winner out of the 3 for accuracy is truly the 450 Bushmaster. It just shoots great with factory ammo. I reload for everything, but I may not even start reloading for it because the factory ammo shoots so great.

I have a 24 inch Hastings slug barrel for my 11-87. What I and my son both note is how much flame shoots out the end when firing my Hornady SST slugs. It's the only firearm that makes me jump because of the flash when firing at the indoor range.

Thus, I can't imagine shortening the barrel and moving that muzzle flash even closer to me,

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.