Best hunting/target rifle in 6.5x284

nodakor

I'm 92% decided on a 6.5x284 round for a hunting and target rifle. Primarily hunting whitetail, mule deer and antelope. I,d like to keep cost at around $1200.
So far I've found Savage 111 long range hunter in 6.5x284 at around $800.
I,m looking for recommendations and opinions for other manufacturers.
Thanks!

I'm 92% decided on a 6.5x284 round for a hunting and target rifle. Primarily hunting whitetail, mule deer and antelope. I,d like to keep cost at around $1200.
So far I've found Savage 111 long range hunter in 6.5x284 at around $800.
I,m looking for recommendations and opinions for other manufacturers.
Thanks!
For your budget that's about it, without building one or buying one from Cooper but it's well past your budget. The LRH is real tack driver, very impressive. And with what's left you can buy some quality optics! gun)

I agree with the prior post, Savage is it for your price range. I have both a Savage LRH in 6.5x284, and a Cooper 520. The LRH is very accurate, with has a twist rate, chambered, and throated to work with Lapua brass and 140 VLD's. My only disappointment was the barrel was a little thinner than I like. In hindsight, I would probably have purchased the Savage Predator model in 6.5x284 instead of the LRH. I have this model in 22-250 and prefer the larger diameter, heavier barrel. This would put the weight and balance of the rifle to the same as my Cooper which really like. The Cooper has a 26" barrel, but both generate about the same velocity. The 24" barrel length of the Predator is the same as the LRH, and does not have a break. It's about a third of a pound heavier than the LRH. Also the Predator as a larger bolt, as well as also having the Accutrigger and accustock. All this is personal preference. Either model will get it done. iMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.