Best hunting bullet for .338 lapua?

I just measured mine again. 300 Gr. Berger Elite Hunter. 3.003" BTO (.005 off) and 3.853" COAL. I have a Wyatt's magazine well (3.825"), but I only single feed.

Last edited:
I was expecting to see more damage but I guess dead is dead.
I'll experiment over the summer with some different heads ...the Berger Elite and Hammer sound pretty good.
Thanks to all for the input.

I've had excellent results with the 250 Accubonds at 3,000 ft/sec. The Berger Elite 250 shoots slightly smaller groups at 400yds but I have no on-game experience with them.

I'm currently working up loads with the 236 Hammer bullet at 3,100 ft/sec. I'll post results here as I get in more range time.

I was expecting to see more damage but I guess dead is dead. I'll experiment over the summer with some different heads ...the Berger Elite and Hammer sound pretty good. Thanks to all for the input.
You have it correct - dead is dead. With your .338 Lapua, you are pushing those Game Kings faster than they were originally engineered for (.338 Win Mag velocities) and having been hog hunting, I'm betting your shots were at 100 yards or less? So they are hitting that hog FAST, penetrating and coming apart inside Mr. Porker, and a bit of lead keeps going and exits (which is great.) So the Game Kings were a great choice for the hogs. And they'll be great for deer and antelope, too. But they will NOT be great for bigger things (elk, moose, bears, etc.) and the other recommendations you are getting would be better for those critters (Hammer, Barnes, Accubond, Partition, etc.)

Just got back from my Texas hog hunt. First time using the .338 Lapua.
My bullet is a 250 gr. Sierra Game king averaging 3050 Fps.
I was surprised I was getting very little expansion with the bullet, if any.
A solid bone hit was devastating but many were just 33 cal. holes on both sides, even on
a couple of 200+ lb ers.
My initial thought was the soft point would be a better hunting head than a match tip.
I would like to hear some other experiences.
Thanks,
VC
you might try the 210 grain accubond ive had good luck on elk and moose with accubonds

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.