Best Hogdon Powder for 7mm WSM??

XP,

I have developed loads for the 7mm WSM with traditional bullet weights and H-4831 worked very well with the lighter bullets but H-1000 worked better with the heavier 150 to 150 class.

For the 180 gr bullets, I would give either H-1000 or Retumbo a try.

Two other powder I would look at would be the new AA Mag Pro and Ram shots Magnum powders. These are both ball powders and are much more stabile then old ball powders in varying temps.

In fact, Ramshot Magnum is very similiar to the Hodgdon Extreme powders in temp change resistance and has a burn rate similar to Retumbo.

The ball powder burns much cooler then any stock powder and will allow a more consistant case fill in this short case.

I would try in this order:

1. Retumbo
2. H-1000
3. RS Magnum
4. AAMagPro

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ernie,
The best powder I have found for the 180 gr. bullet in the 7MMWSM is reloader #25, start with 65 grs and I worked my way up to 67.5 gr with no pressure signs. Muzzle velocity out of a 30" Krieger is 3,150 fps and accuracy is awesome
Hogdon retumbo would also be a good one but in my experiance, which is not that extensive retumbo did not like to be a compressed load as velocity spread increased drasticlly once the bullet started to compress the powder.
FWIW,
308nate

Thanks for the insights. Now let me add to the pot--Just for fun.
Same cartridge, but now with a 200 grain bullet.

Same powders?

I shoot a 28 inch 7mm STW. Without a Chronograph you really can't tell what powder is the best for a given bullet weight.

I predominantly use IMR7828 and H-1000. If i had a 30 inch or longer barrel R-25 might work better. when you look at a burn rate chart I can tell right off that this or that powder is only a few grains total difference and get the same amount of pressure. It's a balance act of using the longest pressure spike to achive the max velocity with acceptable accuracy and case life.

119. H-4350 (Hodgdon)
120. N-204 (Norma)
121. Brig. 4351 (Scot)
122. N-160 (Vihtavuori)
123. N-560 (Vihtavuori)
124. IMR-4831 (IMR)
125. AR-2213 (ADI)
126. 3100 (Accurate Arms)
127. H-450 (Hodgdon)
128. Reloader 19 (Alliant)
129. AR-2213SC (ADI)
130. H-4831 (Hodgdon)
131. MRP (Norma)
132. Reloader 22 (Alliant)
133. N-165 (Vihtavuori)
134. IMR-7828 (IMR)
135. WMR (Winchester)
136. AR-2217 (ADI)
137. H-1000 (Hodgdon)
138. Reloader 25 (Alliant)
139. N-170 (Vihtavuori)
140. AR-2214 (ADI)
141. H-50BMG (Hodgdon)

XP,

You may want to give Ramshots Magnum powder a try, it is very temp change resistant and has a burn rate very similiar to Retumbo. It is also a fine ball powder which is always a major plus in the WSMs limited space. This may be the perfect powder for those 200 gr ULDs.

Let me know if you have access to this powder, if not I have two fresh lbs sitting on the shelf.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen (50)

i would have to agree with Nate.. i have shot RL25 with great accuracy at 65-66 grs with 180 berger but i couldnt get it any higher cuz my bullets are seated to deep...however till i am out again i will shoot N560 that seems to be a little more accurate in my 28" Krieger but not by much and is over 100fps slower than the RL25 load
with nosler 140's 69grs of H1000 is flat out awesome...
Brien

Best Powder for 1k & beyond with 7mm WSM Specialty Handgun?

Appreciate the good info coming in.
Now let me throw another fly in the ointment.
Best powders for 180 VLD & 200 ULD in a 7mm WSM with a 18 inch barrel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
This is for a specialty handgun.
Max barrel length allowed for the Iowa handgun class is 18 inches. Brake length is not counted against you. This will be set-up to shoot at and beyond 1k.
Barrel is 1-7 twist

I don't have any of that powder, but have all the H-powders mentioned

Re: Best Powder for 1k & beyond with 7mm WSM Specialty Handgun?

XP,

How is your handgun throated? If it is long throated to get those 200 gr ULDs out far, Retumbo may well be your best bet. If it is a more conventional throat length, I would say you would be much better served with the much higher load density of the ball powders. Unfortunately Ramshot powders are about the only ones that would work well.

Win Magnum Rifle may be one to try as well as it will settle to a much denser load then any of the Hodgdon powders.

I would say of the Hodgdon powders, H-1000 and Retumbo will be your only good options.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen (50)

Re: Best Powder for 1k & beyond with 7mm WSM Specialty Handgun?

It will be throated so that the 180 grain VLD's base will be very close to the neck body juncture.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.