best factory hunting load 7mm stw

308jagermeister

going deer hunting in SD in just a few weeks, picking up a 7stw and don't have time to invest in a reloading setup. Can you guys point me in the right direction for a quality factory load and maker...

I would recommend giving the Double Tap ammo a try, I have had great accuracy with both the 140 and 160 grain accu-bond ammo they offer in 3 different 7 STW rifles I own. Barrel twist is something to keep in mind... Good luck.

I want to try the bergers but what's up with all the mixed reviews on HSM? Lots of shooters claiming they basicly suck!

I want to try the bergers but what's up with all the mixed reviews on HSM? Lots of shooters claiming they basicly suck!

Shooting Berger's VLD is easier if you handload. In my 7 saum, you work up the powder load and then start trying different seating depths. My saum wants the 168 vld to jump 080". All this effort gets me 3/4 moa most every time.

How would you do that with off-the-shelf ammo?

Maybe that's part of the problem that you read. gun)

TgtGfx.jpg

002-2.jpg

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks." - Dirty Harry

Find out for yourself how a certain load, handload or factory, shoot off your own rifle. How well it shoots off your rifle is all that matters.

The above picture (sorry for the bad pix) were shot off my old trusty stock Savage 111F (1:10 twist, 22" barrel). The same ammo did not fair very well off my stock SAKOM995 (1:11 twist, 23 1/3" barrel) .

Good luck!

Ed

I would strongly suggest reading Eric's article about accuaracy with bergers. They most definately do not suck. But you would be very lucky if your rifle shot them very well "out of the box". It doesn't cost much to buy a box and check but don't be shocked if your gun doesn't like 'em as loaded by HSM. I just went through serious load work up to find the right formula for my rifle. Seating depth was critical. The results were worth it. When you are ready to hand load Try Them. Read up first.

A wise man told me, The reason you gain by hand loading is that you can match the load to your gun. The factory has to make a round that will work "ok" in thousands of guns. By using a "normal" projectile you lose a little performance but get the ability to fit a lot of guns without "tuning". And by using a nominal powder charge you lose a little speed but leave safety room for faulty guns.

Nosler custom is making loaded ammo in this cal. As well.

Good caliber choice. Start loading and get the most out of it! Save money too!

Feenix if you are shootig like that you probably know this but, 1 in 11is a little slow for that round. Heck they write "1 in 10 or faster" on the box.
I would have guessed those results. Nice group buddy.

Oh crap, just stuck foot in mouth. Assumed we were still talkin 7 mm. Failed to read cal. in picture

now no one will take me serious... Probably better that way! Lol

Lyons7STW,

My bad, I put a little curve ball in there just to make a point and should have noted on the text portion :D ... also, pix was before I started handloading.

Cheers!

Ed

Thanks for the replies fellas... I am gonna eventually reload but right now time is a factor.... The reviews I read didn't say the berger projectiles sucked but rather the variations in cartridge weights maybe indicating iffy QC standards on powder charge... Obviously I'm a novice when it comes to the subject but that's why I'm here...
racoon.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.