best factory ammo

I have found that Black Hills 175gr will shoot better than any other factory ammo out of all my 308's and most others.

But Federal Premium gold medal match is accurate to , I have also used winchester Supreme Compition 168 with decient success then comming up last would be Hornady TAP.

These are just what i have seen with my guns , they are all better than most other hunting ammo you just gotta take your turns trying them. But I would reccomend the
Black Hills first though

I can't say I've shot the Black Hills.....I've had great luck with the Winchester Supreme with Accubond bullets (the Nosler Accubond is something else!!!!!).

At risk of sounding like a smart aleck- the best factory ammo is the one that your gun shoots the best.
Pick out a few by bullet selection (weight and type) for what you want to do and try 'em out.....

[ QUOTE ]
At risk of sounding like a smart aleck- the best factory ammo is the one that your gun shoots the best.
Pick out a few by bullet selection (weight and type) for what you want to do and try 'em out.....

[/ QUOTE ]

well typed, and 110% correct.

I got lucky with my VLS, it loves everything I've put thru it thus far, my Rem 700 mountain rifle in .30-06 was picky compared to this rifle.

let me add that the most consistent ammo thru my VLS is actually the el cheapo American Eagle 150 grain FMJ's.

My last shots this past weekend would have all covered a fly at 100 yards(its gratifying to not have a flyer once in a while). Im wondering what this rig could do if I had someone look at it.

I would definitely give the fed gold medal a try. I've never shot the black hills but I've heard good things about it.

I'd agree with Chris. best ammo is what your rifle shoots best with.
I personaly prefer Black Hills, Hornady, Lapua and Norma.
Its isn't a Gods given that any particular rifle will shoot best with the most expensive ammo. Ask Elwood about his Sako and the cheapest ammo he could buy, shot best, like wise ive a 7x57 on a mauser action that just loves Sellor & belliot, cheap as chips ammo.
I habe personaly found no difference in ammo from lot to lot number whilst using Hornady. Lapua, Black Hills or Norma. Hirtenberger was good (we used Hirtenberger sniper ammo when i was playing with Brit Army sniper rifles a few year back it was good,but its hard to get these days)I can't say the same for any other ammo ive treid, be it federal, winchester, RWS,remington, and a shed load of other stuff.
I always thought it a shame that ammo isn't available in test boxes of 10 rds, you should be able to tell within 2x 5 rd groups wether the ammo shows promise or not.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.