Best extreme long range cal ?

I wonder what going back to a partition would do to the BC ? Probably crucify it. I think I will still need to stick to a big pill with big BC. It would also suffer alot more from bullet drift in wind ?

As far as the deer not being large , they are 600-700 lbs with kevlar shoulders and take one hell of a pounding before waving the white flag .

DUH

Are you referring to red stag?

As for the B.C.s of these bullets,

300gr mk: 0.768
250gr partition: 0.457
not sure about the others. But I dont think the partition is ideal for LR hunting due to that low bc. I can't find any real high bc hunting bullets in .338cal in my ballistic calculators database... Not one over .5 under 275grain.

holy crap! 600-700 pound deer!! What species of deer do you have? I'll google a pic.

Heres one !

DSC05004-1.jpg

Shot with the EDGE !

I can't believe there aren't any other effective hunting bullets for .338... That's a serious market gap. Aim for a high shoulder shot, that should put em down. That thing is a brute! In my home country of Germany we have roe deer, they weight around 50-70pounds... I was excited about the size of whitetail here in VA, but those things are a whole nother level!

I do aim for a high shoulder but I cant guarantee to hit this small spot every time under all conditions. No one can ..

My question is will a 338 AM or 375 version with say a 350 smk offer a better wound channel through the rib cage than the edge /300 smk at 1000-1500 yards ?

DUH

The 375, yes, simply due to a larger bullet diameter. The 338AM, Not sure because the increased velocity will give it even less time to expand, it would be more likely to fragment however.

Wound channel, maybe some of the 338AM owners may be able to offer some insight and I'm sure Kirby could. IMHO I think the 338 Edge is capable out to about 1300 yards but, 1500 yards on that beast...I'm thinking 338AM.

DUH,
I have been looking into it a bit. The 20lb limit on your rifle is going to be the sticking point.
A steyr-hs-460 weighs in at 28lb so is a bit heavy for what you want. But it fires a 550 grain bullet with a B.C. of .83 out real fast. You may not want to fire it in a 20lb rifle.

What would a .458 Ultra Mag or 460 weatherby be like in a 20lb rifle with a 32" tube?

Last edited:
have you thought about the .416 barrett? shoots a 400grain pill with a bc of 0.943 at 3250fps, this is a commercially available load, not handload. According to my ballistics calculator.

I dont think I would be firing on a mature stag at 1300, just me personally as I know how hard they are to put down and the " bang flop " shot just dont happen. The only area the 300 smk lacks is how it performs at the velocity at 1000 plus. 700-800 massive damage all the time, but over a grand they are slowing down and if the bullet misses bone they make a tiny needle hole they sometimes is nearly impossible to see and leaves little or nothing to follow.

Hoping the bigger cal at more speed may make the bullet perform better at the 1000-1500 mark.

I stress with this.. This is Sambar deer specific and what demands they put on a bullet. ALOT !

Maybe kirby will have more on his experience with the 2 AM's in question.

DUH

have you thought about the .416 barrett? shoots a 400grain pill with a bc of 0.943 at 3250fps, this is a commercially available load, not handload. According to my ballistics calculator.

I infact have thought about the Barrett and have considered it and the 375 CT as the only possible contenders. I could get one built easy enough but not sure all the pros and cons wouldn't put the 375 CT or AM ahead of it. It ofcourse needs the big 50 action.

Just trying to get first hand knowledge from someone to show that the extra bullet performance would justify the step up.

DUH

DUH,
I have been looking into it a bit. The 20lb limit on your rifle is going to be the sticking point.
A steyr-hs-460 weighs in at 28lb so is a bit heavy for what you want. But it fires a 550 grain bullet with a B.C. of .83 out real fast. You may not want to fire it in a 20lb rifle.

What would a .458 Ultra Mag or 460 weatherby be like in a 20lb rifle with a 32" tube?

The weight would beat it mate I think ?

DUH

DUH

On elk, the 375 CT produces a small hole entry and 5" exit with a clean shot through the chest at 636 yds. I have two, one single shot with shorter barrel for carrying. Accurate for Samba deer to probably 1400 -1500. The other, a 375 AM with magazine is too heavy for carrying but very powerful and accurate at 1 mile. Would be Ok for your size deer to 1800 yds based on 1500 ft/lb

I'm not an opinion type guy....I like the facts....If you're only talking 600 yards, most any 30 cal gun will do fine...Just look for something you can shoot well...If your max distance is 600 yards, don't let folks talk you into any huge calibers. The fact is, that there are many smaller calibers that will fit your application.

On the other hand, if you want to reach out and touch something at say 700 yards plus, I would take a serious look at the 338 edge. The Allen mag is over- kill, but the edge is perfect for long range.

Last summer I let my boys shoot my edge. They all hit the target (with me calling the wind). Even the two 9 year olds hit the mark at 1,000 yards. My 14 year old dropped his first bull elk this year at 940 yards. The edge is great for these kinds of distances.

chow

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.