Best Elk projectile for muzzleloader

Reynolds02

A friend of mine goes elk hunting fairly often in Colorado. He shoots a 54 cal. flintlock and has been using the powerbelt bullets. He said he's wanting something that will make an exit and says he hasn't been able to get that with the powerbelt's. So anyone who has had good results with elk, I am trying to help him out to see if there is something better to shoot to get good expansion with an exit hole. Let me know what you guys think, any opinions are helpful or just tell me what you take down elk with and if you're happy with it... THANKS! gun)

I usually use a bit heavier Power Belts and get exit holes all the time unless you encounter heavy bone. What weight bullets is he using?

Thanks for the reply's guys, but i don't think he can use sabots due to Colorado's regs. I will find out what grain powerbelts he's using and let you know what weight he's using currently. I'm also going to ask him how much powder he's using and get some more specifics.

Thanks

Thors are actually a full conical bullet and if you get on their website you can order a sizing pack to find out what bullet will shoot out of his gun. They will have some different size .54 cal bullets and this bullet has had some pretty good reviews.

Also not to knock LongRangeHunting website but if you would like a more knowledgable answer go to modernmuzzleloader.com. These guys do everything under the sun muzzleloader their are several people on there who hunt Colorado with a muzzleloader and would have great info.

Elite Muzzleloader

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts