Best copper solvent?

I was at the range a while back a man & his smith were doing a barrel breck in on a new 7mm stw they were doing what I thought was a good job of cleaning from shot to shot. I offered some bore tch elliminator to try after what they thought was a clean barrel, they were both amazed at the blue on the patch after they had used there product. I like bore tech

Re: KG Cleaning Products

Anybody else tried the KG Coatings line of bore cleaners?

I have, and it works well, but I really really like how BoreTech Eliminator (BTE) works.

The KG12 bottle says to keep stroking the bore with a soaked patch for 20 strokes or something like that. BoreTech can just sit and do it's thing.

I use SLIP2000 (S2) to get rid of carbon first, then BTE. S2 needs to sit in the bore for a while to do it's thing. I usually give the bore a second dose of S2.

After the S2 has the carbon out of the way I apply the BTE to the bore using a patch in a plastic loop so the patch doesn't get blue from the bronze loop. I let the BTE sit for some period of time, sometimes over night if it's late, then patch it out using a bronze JAG and cotton patches. (I buy my patches in bags of 1,000 from Sinclair or Brownells). I use round patches on 6mm and smaller bores, square ones on the 7mm and larger bores.

Most of my big game rifles one SLIP2000/BTE sequence does it. The varmint rifles which have a lot more rounds between cleaning sessions sometimes need two or three sequences.

That said, sometimes a rifle from a family memeber or friend shows up to have some minor work done, like bedding or recutting a crown, and I find I need to leave it overnight a couple of nights giving it the Accelerator + WipeOut treatment with bronze brushing of a few strokes with S2 to get them cleaned till they shine.

I have nearly continuous access to a Hawkeye borescope and have found it to be an excellent tool for understanding what works and what doesn't when it comes to cleaning bores. It's also an excellent tool for finding out why some bores seem to get so much metal fouling, and others don't.

It helps that I have a dedicated man cave in the basement (completely finished and drywalled) with my rifle bench set up in the middle of it and the reloading bench through the door into the utility room. I can leave rifles with barrels soaking on that bench as long as I want and not get any comments from my wife - but I am careful about solvents that smell because it's a forced air heating system. OTOH, she has her own dedicated sewing room over the garage, all finished and drywalled, and she can do what ever she wants in it.

One thing is true, the really good custom barrels sure clean up faster and easier than factory barrels.

Fitch

You know, all these copper removers have one problem, and that is they take time to work. The longer they soak the better they work. That is why when I am constrained by time--which is all the time--I run Rem Bore Cleaner for 40 strokes, short stroking it through the barrel, then reapply more RBC and repeat for another 40 strokes. It takes more elbow grease but it almost always removes all the copper and powder. I use Bore tech Eliminator mainly as an indicator that I got the copper out.

You are right, they take time to work. So do the good carbon removers. I just do something else during that time. I prefer doing something else to makeing all those strokes in my bore with a cleaning rod.

I can't tell you how many rifles friends and family have brought to me asking why they won't shoot. I look and more often than not in seconds I know why, the barrel throats have a groove in one side worn there by a cleaning rod. The other thing that almost always accompanies this groove is a beat up crown edge.

With care and a good bore guide damage is minimized, but there is always some, and it never heals, it just accumulates.

Fitch

Re: Copper remover and bore cleaning

Yep, another one here for Boretech Eliminator - just love the stuff!

I have also recently used Butches Bore Shine and that too is very similar to the Eliminator, maybe, just maybe a little quicker in its operation.

I've long ago left my Hoppes on the shelf now for general cleaning jobs like giving the bolt a good wipe over, that's about it now.

I'd love to give the KG products a try as they appear to be very effective as well.

Cheers.

I've tried wipeout/patchout and it does well. Also won't run you out of the room. Used Sweets as well but never liked it much. Recently I've switched to KG products: KG-1, KG-2 and KG-12. Gotta say I love the KG stuff. Easy to use, fast and once again you won't need to worry about stinking up the house. I rarely have to use more than two rounds of the KG-12 to remove copper. Most times I'm done and sparkling clean within 15min. Also a big fan of the tipton carbon fibre cleaning rods.

Here is what I do to remove all the carbon I use a nylon brush and dip it in dawn dish soap scrub barrel well then dry patch it best carbom remover I have ever used and quickest. I moly coat all my bullets so never get any copper to remove.

I have been using KG-12 products for the past 3 years, recommended to me by a buddy of mine who shoots bench rest. This patch is one pass from chamber to muzzle of my 300WM no pull back no back and forth using KG12 Carbon! The KG12 Copper is even better.

Attachments

• one pass 2 carbon remover.JPG
    one pass 2 carbon remover.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 87
I have been using KG-12 products for the past 3 years, recommended to me by a buddy of mine who shoots bench rest. This patch is one pass from chamber to muzzle of my 300WM no pull back no back and forth using KG12 Carbon! The KG12 Copper is even better.

KG1 is the carbon remover product. KG12 is the copper cleaning product.

I use Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover for powder fouling and Bore Tech Eliminator for copper, but it sounds like I should try Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover.
Can you tell I like BT?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.