Best cheap powder measure?

Brown Dog

I'm been doing the 'cup-full-of-powder, scoop it onto the scales then trickle or take out until correct weight on each charge' way of reloading since I started

It seems to take forever to do a batch....and I find it mind-numbingly tedious!

Thinking of ways of speeding myself up (without going to the expense of automatic dispenser & scales)

suspect that a cheap and cheerful powder measure (followed by trickling on the scale) would save me time on scooping each charge.

Is the Lee perfect powder measure the optimal measure for this?....or should I be getting the Lee pro auto disk powder measure? ....or something else entirely?!

Thanks!

If you want to go cheap get the Lee Powder Measure Kit for $9.98. If your going to follow by trickling on the scale than just pick a dipper thats close and finish with the trickler. I got my set for free from someone who got a automatic dispenser.

Had a belding and mull that I like real well.

But here's what I liked better.

Load a case with the amount of powder you desire.

"eye ball" it real good (That's red neck for measure the length of case occupied by powder.

Grind/saw/chop or whatever the case just a schoshi bit shorter than the above measurement.. You want it to be about a half grain light.

Solder a handle on it.

Use it as a scoop then trickle the rest.

Do one for each cartridge and load and your ready to go and you did it yourself.

For large cases its faster than the RCBS charge master.

The 20 dollar Lee Perfect Powder measure is excellent. Mine easily outperforms my bud's RCBS.

Actually, the Lee has beaten measures costing over 100 dollars in tests I've read. (too long ago to remember where).

It works. Just get one, and run about two pounds of powder through it to break it in good. Mine throws the short extrudes almost as well as ball powder.

You've got to practice with it a bit. I've heard folks say "Lee powder measures don't work." To that I say, "operator error." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I wouldn't fool with anything else--even if you gave it to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

IAN

Next time we are at Minsterly we will do a side by side test. Your Harrels measure against my cheapo Lee.If your Harrels is more consistent then i buy the curry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NICK.

Nick,
No contest mate, the curry's on you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
When you lose can i put a bullet through your measure, after all if its that cheap, it wont cost you much to replace it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

IAN
No centerfire on the 50 metre range my friend and you could not hit a powder measure at 100! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif so both my measure and my curry will be safe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
NICK

PS.
Apologies to Brown Dog for swerving off subject.

OUCH! that cut deeply, i'm gutted. i dont know what to say, your powder measure is dead, i shall destroy it on sight, it does not deserve to dump another charge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Oh forgot to mention i used be a champion at throwing the cricket ball at 50m /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif accurately as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I can taste the tikka masalla right now and it tastes even better when someone else is paying for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ian

I already have one!! It's Mickey Mouse!!!I'll stick with the 55 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.