Best Caliber for Precision and versatility

still ain't buying the more accurate thing.. to many variables come into play...

I'll prove this as I have just recieved a 300WM from the same smith who built my WSM and I bet it is just as accurate!
WSM may be more forgiving and easier to load for but that doesn't mean more accurate... in the hands of an experienced person thay are both very accurate...

what you will get is A LOT of guy shooting the WSM .. therefore you'll see alot winning the accuracy comps.. then guys wil say "yup they are more accurate" but that really doesn't prove it....

as I mentioned I love the WSM but I don't necessarily think they are more accurate cause a bunch of good shooters say so... they may have vested interest. who knows...

get the same smith to build the same rifles in the 2 calibers...
get the same guy to make the loads and get the same driver .. and test them over a long period of time.. then get back to me...

I agree Ric /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I like both cartridges, but anyone who says the 300 mag isn't accurate should look back at the equipment lists for the 1000 yard bencrest matches for the last 30 years. Either the 300 mag has been kickin butt for quite awhile, or there was a lot of guys who just got lucky time and time again!

you betcha...

Just so no ones panties get in a bunch...

for the record I love the WSM but the jury will be out for awhile before I say it is more accurate... and you're talking to a guy that has 6" groups at 1K with his 300WSM

Ric,

What do you mean when you say that the WSM is more 'forgiving'?

-I'm guessing you mean of inconsistent hold?

ok my opinion only here....

I think the short fat case will shoot a better variety of powders accurately.... I had luck with various powders

Ric,
Thanks for the rapid answer!

Big Bore,

"30-06 Short action mag" - I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, I'll enjoy the extra performance my new 30-06SAM will give over my old 308 -at no cost!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey!

[ QUOTE ]
For God's sake man, why don't you just wear plaid shirts, drink distilled water, and drive a baige Volvo with a bumper sticker that says, "I brake for boring regularity"!!
I mean come on, everyone and their goldfish has a dirty ought six or a 308! Liven it up a little. Yes they are great cartridges, but you gotta have a flair for the stuff grandpa don't have!
No offense to people who have these good cartridges. They definetely are accurate, efficient, and easy to load for, but so are a ton of other cartridges that deserve a look. Don't just settle for what that gun-counter salesmen tries to unload on you! HA, wait a second, I AM a gun salesmen! And from that point of view I can say that I talk to a million people a day that say, "You got any 308's?" and I just yawn and show 'em. But now if a customer comes in and says, "You got any 260's?" he has my attention, and if the customer comes in and says, "which one of these actions is best for doing a 6 BR?" then I am totally fired up! It's the difference between a car salesmen at the Volvo dealer and a salesman at the Ferrari dealer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I have a .308 and the wifey has a Volvo!! I also drink lots of distilled water to maintain my regularity! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I know a bunch of fellas who are selling their WTHBY magnums and going back to the basics of 30-06, .270, .308 etc. City girls can be fun for a while, but the girl next door will never let you down.

My Army and Marine Corps buddies act as if God secretly made the .308 on the seventh day.

The Weatherby SVM in .308 sounds like a swell purchase!

I'm loving this board and certainly respect everyone's opinion. Good luck with whatever.

Re: Hey!

Julian,
I'm glad you have a good sense of humor. I wrote that post after I had a run in with a "holy-oh-eight" junkie at the range that day. Probably the same type of guy as your military buddies. He thought his 308 was the hottest thing since the 215 Federal primer, and I just had to show him what a fine-tuned 6.5-.284 would do at the range and then vented on the post! Actually, I am glad to see guys getting away from the fire-breathing thirties and going back to more sensible cartridges like the 308 win. Goes against the grain in this day in age and you just gotta admire a guy for doing that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
P.S. Sorry about the Volvo crack, it probably is a good car just as long as it's not baige! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For me, the best cal for target (as far as I have elevation for) and hunting this side of 750yds (most suitable for my hunting areas) is the 6.5cal. Simply because of my love affair with the 140gr SST. Awesome ballistics and accuracy.

I have no issue with hunting non dangerous game including moose out to 750yds with my 6.5-06.

I take Precision to mean being able to hit a particular spot on a target at distance. For me, wind is the biggest obsticle to that. The incredible BC of these SST's make doping so much easier. The doping is similar to my RUM and 240gr MK at under 3100fps.

The next would be the 280Rem/AI/Gibbs or the 7WSM. The 162gr Amax/SST are also amazing bullets and would hit harder at all ranges. Recoil is higher though but still very useable in both a hunting and target shooting application. The 7WSM would certainly get the nod if hunting extended to 900yds.

I have just started fiddling with a 270 and 150gr SST. The bullet doesn't have the BC of the 140gr SST or muzzle vel. However, a readily available cartridge no matter where I hunt in North America. Would be a 700yds and in type of cartridge.

Ballistically, head and shoulders over the 308. I have owned more 308's and built more custom rifles in this cartridge so am not a 308 'hater'. In fact, in the final stages of building a 308Win specifically for LR cast bullet shooting.

I just look at the ballistics offered by different cals for the same recoil and its an easy decision.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.