Best caliber for long range in a short action.

Brass isn't any more expensive, its just standard 243 brass. It does need to be fireformed though. Dies are slightly more expensive, but not much. One of my tactical match rifles in in 243AI and has become my main rifle. The gain in performance over a straight 243 is hard to overlook. Basically around 200-250fps+ seems to be the normal. 105's 3250-3300, 115's 3190-3250 out of 26-27" barrels. My match rifle runs 115 dtacs at 3240 fps out of a 27" barrel. Hits hard and cheats wind pretty good. I really don't loose much brass over the course of a year...50-75pcs at the most. Cases last 5-7 firings and I start over. My process is buy 500 cases, form them in a fireform barrel, then shoot. Barrels last around 1500-2000 rounds, so the brass is used through the life of 2 barrels really. A straight 243 is also a great round and can be push the heavy 6mm bullets to where they work well. The AI just gives it a little more push is all.

Just went through this exercise last Spring...I own a 270wsm,7mm mag but I chose 260 AI...
26 inch barrel by Pac Nor, I am pushing the Berger 140s @ 3000fps:)
Anything under an Elk this is a very accurate/lethal combination shoots real well at 1000 yds.:)
This year an antelope found out @ 680 yds.
There is very lttle recoil so it's a blast to shoot the rest of the year.
I used a 3 groove barrel, just an idea, it cleans up great and shoots in the .4s @ 100 yds.

With the use you stated I would do the 243 AI. Faster than the 260 and will do well on the animals you listed. You can shoot a high bc 6mm bullet toward 3300 fps which is way faster than the 260 Rem with a high bc 6.5 bullet. It shoots very close to the 240 wby mag.

a regular .243 isn't exactly easy on barrels due to it's poor neck and shoulder design. But an Ackley case is better by far, and should last a little longer. My choice would (in a 6mm) would be an HLS by a lightyear. It's pretty much the samething as a .243, but with a 6mm Remington neck. You can also run a standard 6mm Remington reamer in the chamber to headspace at the .243 Winchester length. You end up with a 100% better cartridge that uses exactly the same load data as a standard .243 Winchester. Or you can do the samething with a 6mm AI, and build an improved HLS. The longer neck with the 40 degree shoulder will give you at least double the barrel life, plus be able to handle those long VLD's as they really should be.

The Remington short action is very short (if not too short). Works best used as a single shot gun rather than a magazine feed when using very long bullets (otherwise you'll find yourself seating the bullets way down in the case). The Savage and Winchester are a little bit longer (seems like the Savage is 3/16" and the Winchester is about 1/8" longer), and that means a lot in the world of real long bullets. But a 6x47 or a 6.5x47 fits the action perfectly. You can buy cases already formed from Lapua and maybe Norma, but they easy to form. These two rounds are used all the time in 600 and 1000 yard competetion, so that tells me they've got the range and velocity needed
gary

Last edited:
While there are lots a great cartridges available - I can recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor without reservation.
Brass and ammunition is available from Hornady in match and hunting configuration.
Standard and Superformance (high energy powder for maximum velocity) loadings.
Fantastic accuracy (Won the ITRC in Wyoming with it this year).
Kills very well - One of the factory guys shot a PILE of African game earlier this year.

No fireforming, no special dies.

Mike

While there are lots a great cartridges available - I can recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor without reservation.
Brass and ammunition is available from Hornady in match and hunting configuration.
Standard and Superformance (high energy powder for maximum velocity) loadings.
Fantastic accuracy (Won the ITRC in Wyoming with it this year).
Kills very well - One of the factory guys shot a PILE of African game earlier this year.

No fireforming, no special dies.

Mike

what is the round based off of?
gary

Not based off of any round, but a factory loaded acrtridge that does exactly what we have been doing with wildcats for years.

30 degree shoulder (like the 6mm BR) for minimal case stretch
Overall length when loaded with high BC bullets will fit in 308 length magazine
Case capacity is about the same as 260 due to less case body taper.

You can look at the Hornady website and do a google search for 6.5 Creedmoor for tons of information.

Mike

for the size of game you are considering my vote goes for the 243 or 243 AI, I have one of each right now both throated to factory ammo and using the 115 g Bergers. I can seat them deeper- taking advantage of the too large case for both of these cartridges. My rounds fit nicely in the AI magazines or the standard savage magazine. I love the 6.5 calibers as well. Longer barrel life and shoot a little heavier bullet. lots of choices. enjoy the search.

I'm kinda partial to the 6.5x47Lapua. TMR built one for my daughter and one for me. Very accurate rifles and will do all you are asking for. BUT it is a re loader's round as factory ammo is spendy at best.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.