Best Brass: Winny or Remmy?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sconnie264, Mar 5, 2012.

1. sconnie264

sconnie264 Active Member

Which have you guys had better luck with, best quality, fewest throw-aways, etc.? I've loaded both, but need to replace a worn out assortment with a good new lot (please not lapua, nosler, or any other $1 a pop cartridge, I know they're better, but I'm cheap :D).

2. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

Winchester has fewer culls in my experience

3. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

In the past Winchester always seamed to have fewer culls and lasted longer with the exeption of the junk 204 brass they released a couple years ago.
    In most cases the Remingtons will hold more powder but the necks seam to split sooner.
    Factory federals have shot good to great every time I have tryed them but the brass goes into the scrap bin and not reloaded.

4. sconnie264

sconnie264 Active Member

Thanks for the input guys! Would you say that Winchester brass is a little softer, and more forgiving to alot of trips through the dies?

5. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

no, if you anneal your brass both should last about the same, i reccomend neck sizing to maximize brass life though

6. 7stw

7stw Well-Known Member

What he said! 7 STW.

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have always gotten better performance from the WW brass. But some of that could be related to the chamberings I was using it in. Now if I can I use Lapua first, RWS second and norma is pretty good as well.

Jeff

8. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

The only time I use RP brass is if I HAVE to. WW for me on the cheap end of brass.

9. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Win brass "seems" to have a better reputation for consistence and durability. However, a few years back I could only get Rem brass for my custom 7STW. With a little brass prep I was able to consistently shoot groups under .5moa and brass life was surprisingly good. Not bad for mass produced brass at discount prices.

10. sconnie264

sconnie264 Active Member

Again, thank you for the insight fella's! Is annealing a good idea on all brass? Do you do it every time u reload? I've never done it, send me to school! lol gun)

11. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I feel it is a good thing to do. I do it every one or two firings. I hae seen the results of necks work hardening after 4 firings. ( lower neck tension and soot on the necks) So this made a believer out of me.

The machines to do it consistantly at the same temp for each case and the flame applied at the same location on the necks ae a bit pricey. I have owned bothe the Ken Light and the Bench source.

I now use the Bench Source.

Jeff

[​IMG]

12. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Me, I like playing with propane torches so an annealer was just the progression of things.....:)

You work brass and it work hardens, especially the case necks and especially magnum cartridges. Annealing extends the lifespan. Even 'cheap' brass isn't so cheap now days..........

Search 'annealing' on here. Lots of good information.

Jeff beat me to it..... I have his machine too.